BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Offset Fill Possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Looking at the attached image, what is the fastest method of getting from a solid fill to one that is offset a measured distance, in the example it is offset 1' for a footing.

SCREEN CAP.jpg
6 REPLIES 6
__archiben
Booster
1. copy the fill and paste it back into the same position

2. select one of the fills and, grabbing it by a corner, click to get your pet palette up. one of the pet palette options when you have clicked a polygon corner is the polygon resize option, see attachment.

3. use this to 'zoom'/offset your selected fill by the desired amount, then deselect it and reselect the first, larger fill.

4. with your fill tool active in the tool bar 'take' the smaller fill from the larger fill by space clicking on the boundary of the smaller one.

5. delete this second smaller fill. voila!

6. have a cup of coffee and slap yourself on the back, knowing that when your footing changes size you only need to select the 'hole' and use the same polygon offset function to resize it!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
6. have a cup of coffee and slap yourself on the back.
~/archiben
You should be sipping yours from a GS Mug, another great tip! Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why all the work?
1. Create original fill.
2. Select the offset modifier from the control palette. (or simply hit the 'O' key to activate it)
3. With original fill selected, magic wand into the space of the first fill. (If you click on an edge or node it won't work)
4. Offset desired amount and your done!
Djordje
Ace
symm wrote:
Why all the work?
1. Create original fill.
2. Select the offset modifier from the control palette. (or simply hit the 'O' key to activate it)
3. With original fill selected, magic wand into the space of the first fill. (If you click on an edge or node it won't work)
4. Offset desired amount and your done!
Quite so, why the fuss when we have the offset?

When offsetting, define the offset distance with r, of course.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
__archiben
Booster
damn! i knew there must have been an easier way!

it seemed too contorted whilst i was writing it, and i've been racking my brains all night! doh.

thanks for putting me straight.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Karl Ottenstein
~/archiben wrote:
2. select one of the fills and, grabbing it by a corner, click to get your pet palette up. one of the pet palette options when you have clicked a polygon corner is the polygon resize option, see attachment.
The offset may be the the easiest way to accomplish what Mark wanted, Ben, but thanks for posting the above since I had never realized or had forgotten (at my age, you never know which it is!) that grabbing a corner gave that palette option! Nice to fill in the gaps of knowledge and/or memory.

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!