Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

One complex roof instead of two - roof modeling

m_ziolo_86
Newcomer
Hello,

I'm curious wether it would be possible to model a roof as seen on picture attached with one complex roof element. As you can see I used two to make this. Any idea how to make it ?

Roof.jpg
Archicad 16, Win 8.1
11 REPLIES 11
Barry Kelly
I would say two roofs are the way to go.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Dwight
Newcomer
BTW: What's the point of doing so?
Dwight Atkinson
m_ziolo_86
Newcomer
Dwight wrote:
BTW: What's the point of doing so?
Only my curiosity. I wonder if I know how to use this tool correctly.
Archicad 16, Win 8.1
Karl Ottenstein
Whether one or two, the advantage of using the new multiplane roof vs modeling the illustrated roof with old single plane roofs is not just the added editing intelligence (more so with one roof - as things will remain connected without additional work) - but that scheduling can show more data. For example, if there are ridge vents on those roofs, the multiplane roof can schedule the ridge length. Or, fascia length, etc. None of that is possible with the old single plane roofs.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Karl wrote:
Whether one or two, the advantage of using the new multiplane roof vs modeling the illustrated roof with old single plane roofs is not just the added editing intelligence (more so with one roof - as things will remain connected without additional work) - but that scheduling can show more data. For example, if there are ridge vents on those roofs, the multiplane roof can schedule the ridge length. Or, fascia length, etc. None of that is possible with the old single plane roofs.
Karl:

The edges of Single-plane Roofs can be assigned and scheduled, or were you referring something else?

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Karl Ottenstein
David wrote:
The edges of Single-plane Roofs can be assigned and scheduled, or were you referring something else?
Yes - the ridges are doubled up with single plane roofs. Suppose you have a few shed roofs and a few gables ... all of the gables will be doubled. With the multiplane roof for the gable, the ridge is the correct ridge - for the vent for that ID'd roof, or the correct total for all roofs. 🙂
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Karl wrote:
Yes - the ridges are doubled up with single plane roofs. Suppose you have a few shed roofs and a few gables ... all of the gables will be doubled. With the multiplane roof for the gable, the ridge is the correct ridge - for the vent for that ID'd roof, or the correct total for all roofs. 🙂
Karl:

I agree with the advise to use the Multi-Plane Roof when possible, it makes edits and changes easier. But Graphisoft has addressed the Ridge vs. Peak issue with Single-Plane Roofs: A "Ridge" is calculated at 1/2 the length, a "Peak" is the full length.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Karl Ottenstein
David wrote:
But Graphisoft has addressed the Ridge vs. Peak issue with Single-Plane Roofs: A "Ridge" is calculated at 1/2 the length, a "Peak" is the full length.
I've just been testing in 14 through 16, David to make sure I wasn't getting confused... and for me I only get a value for "Ridge Length" or "Hips Length" (Valley length etc) for multiplane roofs. For single plane roofs these all schedule as zero.

For Hips and Ridges, e.g., each plane gets 1/2 of the common length. The sums are correct. (But, again, the values are zero for single plane roofs - e.g., legacy roofs.)

The Perimeter value (for fascia, e.g.) for single plane roofs includes the edges that overlap... where there would be no fascia - thus being useless for automation. For multiplane roofs, it gives the proper mass perimeter value.

Cheers,
Karl
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Karl wrote:
I've just been testing in 14 through 16, David to make sure I wasn't getting confused... and for me I only get a value for "Ridge Length" or "Hips Length" (Valley length etc) for multiplane roofs. For single plane roofs these all schedule as zero.
Karl:

I think the difference is the automation of quantities. The Single-plane Roofs will deliver these quantities, but the roof edges need to be assigned via the Custom Edge Settings on the Pet Palette.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture