Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Opening Tool, sample/inject and favorites

gdford
Advisor

It is frustrating that the opening tool allows for complex opening shapes to be created and then there is no way to save the opening for using it again - unless i am missing something.
Sample the complex opening and I get a square one when I place the sampled opening.

Save the complex opening as a favorite and when you place the favourite it is square.....

Am I just holding my mouth wrong??

gdford_0-1652823003150.png

Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly

@gdford wrote:

Am I just holding my mouth wrong?

Yes, you have to stick your tongue out and bend it to the left. 🤣

Joking of course.

It seems the Element Transfer Settings will transfer the opening size - which was fine when it was only round or rectangular.

But now we have polygonal shapes, this has either been overlooked or maybe it is just not possible.

It would be nice though.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
BrunoH
Expert

Hi,

I think it's because The Element Transfer or Favorite are for Pameters, the shape of the opening is it's geometrical construct like when you draw a Slab shape, you can't transfer this nor save it as a Favorite. This is not possible for all other Tools.

ArchiCad 3.43 to 26
MacOS Monterey

I accept that the tool was not designed to do this, but it should allow for saving out a custom opening, and you should be able to create a favorite to place it again.

Gary Ford
Archicad 12-26
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000

Yes you are rigth it should be possible or at least like for Slabs and other tools be able to Translate with copy.

ArchiCad 3.43 to 26
MacOS Monterey

Yes, this should of course be handled by a proper type functionality which favorites could be developed into. GS being content with favorites just being some sort of autofill is rather strange given their outspoken aim to increase our efficiency. And it doesn't look good when compared to most modern CAD/BIM applications.

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

I think what happens here is that Favorites can store only the various parameters of elements. When the Opening is rectangular or circular, its stored size parameters are enough to determine its actually shape. However, when it is polygonal-shaped those parameters do not apply so the shape is not saved, the same way the shape is not saved for a Slab or Roof or Mesh and so on.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

First off - I seem to be limited to only seeing 4 lines of text in this dialog box on the forum. Is there a pop this into a larger window? I don't understand why I am limited to this tiny space to type in?

I get the slab tool not saving all of the parameters to a favorite, but since we use the morph tool to make all kinds of custom shapes then one might argue since the morph tool was created to make usable things in that  maybe we should be able to make a favorite of a mesh that remembers the actual shape. I think that would be a perfectly reasonable expectiation.Now we can take that a step further and say .... well you can make an object of the mesh and then you can have a favorite of the object that works which is valid, but that logic fails with the opening tool.... There is no way to create an irregular opening and reproduce it on another wall short of starting from scratch with the opening, or copy paste the wall with the special opening and then move that wall into the required location and change that wall into what it is really suppose to be. I understand that this is the current limitation and my point after asking my original question and getting told that it can't be done is that i am disappointed that this is the case, and it worries me that Graphisoft is losing the software battle. I don't really care about this particular little issue which I may never even need again, but the limitation it describes also describes long term imitations throughout Archicad that should have been addressed or more importantly, should never even been a limitation. I do not have enough fingers to count of the new Archicad features that looked great in the yearly sales pitch that had so many limitations, I could not use them in my daily practice. Archicad is barely a real BIM platform. The hoops I have to jump through to not use dumb notes is ridiculous.

So what really is my point? I suspect that I have at least 7000 hours of using Archicad. From my point of view that is one hell of a commitment to product.

Please stop developing Archicad if you can't flesh out the new features as they should be implemented. Just let Archicad stand as it is, and start from scratch, and build the product Archicad could be without legacy constraints. In my opinion this is only way forward... If Graphisoft does not do it, someone will.

If this has all been incoherent I apologise.... it's been wine time for the last hour!

Gary Ford
Archicad 12-26
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000

@gdford wrote:

First off - I seem to be limited to only seeing 4 lines of text in this dialogue box on the forum. Is there a pop this into a larger window? I don't understand why I am limited to this tiny space to type in?

You can use the stretch button on the lower-right side to increase the size of the text box.

BarryKelly_0-1653440360018.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11