Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Opening recess relative to complex profile

Karl Griffith
Booster
I noticed on a current project that doors showing properly recessed in plan, are showing outside of the wall in section. I believe this is die to the wall being a complex profile where the top of the wall is wider than the bottom (where the door is). It appears that in section, the recess is being calculated from the wider, top of the wall.

Is there a way to control this other than breaking the wall into separate components?
ArchiCAD 22

Win 10
9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly
In the profile editor you can set the position of the opening lines by dragging them.
There is an option to show them if they are not already (just like turning a layer on/off).

At least that is how I thought it was supposed to work.
I noticed (version 20) that the reveal seems to offset from the part of the wall that is cut buy the Floor Plan Cut Plane regardless of the opening line setting.

Bug maybe?
I might have to test further.

Barry.
opening_reference.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
OK a quick bit of testing.
A complex profile wall can not have a 'Symbolic' floor plan display - by default it is "Projected with Overhead'.

If the window being placed is 'Symbolic' then it does not use the opening reference line.
However if the window is also set to "Projected with Overhead' then it does use the opening ref line.

I would still consider this a bug.
I like my windows set as 'Symbolic'.

Barry.
opening_reference_2.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
AFAIK this how it allways worked, set your opening line to the outside of the buildingmaterial that you would cut on your floorplane, or stagger the line as needed.

Personally I set it to the outside at 1.500 mm above the story level as I would draw the wall. Otherwise I run in to issues with doors that will typically sit in lower parts of the profile that could be wider.

No issues with floorplan display, sections, 3D etc this way. Except of course the surface textures on the reveal, but that is another problem all together and longstanding wish.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Karl Griffith
Booster
Thank you - this at least gives me some things to try.

I was trying to set the wall as "cut only" as other options made the floor plan confusing with too many lines.
ArchiCAD 22

Win 10
Karl Griffith
Booster
Defining the opening reference line in the complex profile fixed this.

I am using 'symbolic' for openings, and that seems to be working correctly for me.
ArchiCAD 22

Win 10
Barry Kelly
Karl wrote:
Defining the opening reference line in the complex profile fixed this.

I am using 'symbolic' for openings, and that seems to be working correctly for me.
I will have to experiment some more.
For me symbolic is not working in plan but it is in 3D.
Shouldn't they be the same?
I might try setting the line above floor level as Erwin suggests.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Karl Griffith
Booster
Would it behave differently if you snapped the opening reference line to the exterior face of wall and entered the recess dimension (instead of placing the reference line at the desired recess location)?

Also, I notice one window has the interior skin turned in and the other doesn't. I don't know if that makes any difference, or if there are different settings between the two windows.
ArchiCAD 22

Win 10
Barry Kelly
Karl wrote:
Would it behave differently if you snapped the opening reference line to the exterior face of wall and entered the recess dimension (instead of placing the reference line at the desired recess location)?
No it makes no difference which side of the wall I place the window on.
I can manually set the reveal depth but the problem is the plan will move from the edge of the wall and in 3D it will move from where the opening reference line is.
So it only works if the opening ref line is on the face of the wall so 2D and 3D match.

Karl wrote:
Also, I notice one window has the interior skin turned in and the other doesn't. I don't know if that makes any difference, or if there are different settings between the two windows.
This is just because one window is symbolic and the other is projected.
Another reason to use the symbolic as it shows the reveal returns.
But the problem is the symbolic view does not use the opening ref line in plan.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Karl Griffith
Booster
Barry wrote:
No it makes no difference which side of the wall I place the window on.
I can manually set the reveal depth but the problem is the plan will move from the edge of the wall and in 3D it will move from where the opening reference line is.
So it only works if the opening ref line is on the face of the wall so 2D and 3D match.
Barry.
That's why it is working for me - I have the opening reference line positioned at the exterior face of wall. However, this face of wall is inset from the face of wall above the opening, so the reference line is useful in that it allows me to select the relevant wall face. I expect that if I moved it off a wall face, would behave as you note. But I'm trying to get this project done, so I'm not moving it!
ArchiCAD 22

Win 10