Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Opening tool changes parent/pin/owner depending on last edited

PVBergkrantz
Expert

Hello, I noticed what I think is a bug or a poorly designed feature with the opening tool. If you put an opening on a slab, and then add another slab on another story as another cut element, then the parent/pin/owner of the hole changes all the time to always be the last edited slab. Even if I manually select and pin the hole to story 1, then just adjust the length of the slab on story 2, the hole changes owner.

This creates an issue for us because in early design stages we hotlink a typical floor up the building (including the slab), via an exported mod-file, and it seems the hole is only transferred to the mod-file if that slab is the owner. This means if we adjust the attic floor's slab, which is a cutting element of the holes, the attic slab is now the owner of the hole, and thus the hole will not be exported to the mod-file, and the holes won't show up on the hotlinked stories.

This also means that if you don't have an infinite height of the hole, it will cut differently all the time because it jumps around to different stories depending on which slab you edited last.

PVBergkrantz_1-1634142886151.png

PVBergkrantz_2-1634143134519.png

PVBergkrantz_3-1634143157046.png

| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

5 REPLIES 5
gdford
Advisor

It would not surprise me if there is some sort of bug with this tool and hotlinks as that environment must be insanely complex, however the Archicad developers are really smart about what they are doing and it's entirely possible we just haven't devined the mindset of the developers.

Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000

If I add an existing opening to another slab, it stays pinned to the original slab.

But you are correct, it you now adjust the shape of the second slab, the opening becomes pinned to that slab.

I don't think it should do that personally.

If you move the second slab the opening remains pinned to the first slab.

It seems to be only when you edit the perimeter of the second slab in any way (add a node, stretch an edge, etc.) that the pin will swap to that slab.

I vote bug and will report it to my Archicad support people when I can.

You should do the same to your Archicad support people too.

In fact we can get @Minh Nguyen from HQ involved with this here to see what he thinks.

I was testing in 25 build 3002 (haven't updated to 3011 yet on this machine.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hi All,

Thank you very much for the report and I am very sorry for the experience!

I could reproduce the issue on AC23 as well as AC25, thus I'm not quite sure whether this was a design decision or not. If it does, I agree this is not the desired behavior. I will ask our colleagues for some help with the investigation. Once I have further news, I will let you know!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Thanks Minh.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Dear All,

I have confirmation from the development that this is a defect with the Opening's logic. The opening's host element should only change when you explicitly edit the Opening element itself (changing host from the pin), or maybe when splitting the host element into multiple elements (via split command or polygon editing). Thus, we have entered it into our defect database (DEF-6783).

I am very sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you very much for sharing it! Feel free to ask if you have any questions!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT