Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Orientation of Vectorial or Symbol Fill to a slab in section

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there! New to Archicad here, so apologies if this question is eye-rolling simple... I modelled a floor build-up, using the slab tool to create the horizontal surfaces such as floor boards and insulation, and the beam tool for beams. I then drew a section cutting through it. I now go to the section and I notice that the fills for the materials aren't orientated correctly: the insulation fill for example is partially displayed, and appears too large. So I click on the relevant object, which was modelled as a slab. Where do I edit how the section fill appears for this slab?

I came across this https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/65480/ but this seems to apply only to a plan view? Or am I missing something glaringly obvious?
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Could you please post one or two screenshots that show exactly how those fills look now?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I have attached a screenshot of the section view.

I have a workaround, which is to use a 2d object and place it in the section view, but this seems like unnecessary extra work!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The trick is to use a Building Material that has the "Fit to Skin" Fill Orientation option specified for its Cut Fill. Then it will automatically adjust itself to the width on the skin.
Please note that the "Fit to Skin" option is available only when a Symbol Fill is specified for Cut Fill.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Aha! Ok thanks! So I made sure the relevant insulation fill had the "Fit to Skin" orientation selected. But this made no change as I had the slab modelled as a basic slab... So then I created a new composite slab type just for the insulation, and set the insulation thickness to what is required. I then modelled the insulation as a composite slab with the new composite slab type, and it looks like I need it to. Thanks for your help!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, sorry, I forgot that this works only in composite structures and complex profiles.