BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Origin Point as per UK easting / northing

MRF BIM
Contributor

Hi there

I am currently starting a new project for a commercial building

The architectural model is going to be modeled in Archicad, but the structural and M+E engineers will be using Revit.

I need to provide an origin point for the correct collaboration and coordination.

The engineers and I have selected a point out of the Topographical survey to be set as the "Project Origin"

This topographical point has 3 coordinates (numbers in meters) : UK easting/northing/Elevation.

The problem comes when I try to set up the Origin Point (within the Project Preferences). The only units accepted to set up this point are "Degrees/Minutes/Seconds" or "Decimal Degrees"

I have tried to use on-line translators, but I haven't found any that is giving me an accurate position.

Could anybody tell me how to set up an origin point with a eating/northing/elevation numbers in metres?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
7 REPLIES 7

Which version of Archicad are you using?

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

Hopefully this will be of some use of using AC25 or 26. 

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/26/INT/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0&rhmapid=#t=_AC26_Help%2F020_Confi...

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

I am using Archicad 26 Solo

MRF BIM
Contributor

I appreciate your suggestion, but unfortunately it doesn't solve my problem.

My problem is that I'm trying to set up the Origin Point (within the Project Preferences).

For this, I have selected a point of the Topographical Survey.

For this point I have topographical coordinates (6 digit easting and 6 digit northing, in metres)

For this point I also have the elevation height over the sea level.

My problem is that the only units that Archicad accepts are "Degrees/Minutes/Seconds" or "Decimal Degrees".

Is there any way around this?

Do you know any on-line coordinates converter? 

You shouldn’t need to set it up in there to collaborate with the Revit engineer’s. As long as you’ve agreed that point and then offset the survey point to those dimensions it should then populate the information you need and allow you to collaborate in IFC with the mutually agreed origin. That’s how we do it anyway. 

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

That's OK,

Sorry I've been using Archicad for years,  but I'm just new in the collaboration world.

If you don't mind, that opens up to two questions:

- what's the Origin Point (under Project preferences) set up for? Is it just to be used for thermal and sun-studies?

-is the "origin point set up" not a tool to assign a location to the little "x" in the model space?

Does this "set up" it not add any data to the origin point on the model space, and subsequently to the origin point of the IFC file

Solution
MRF BIM
Contributor
Learn and get certified!