BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Outline of walls showing through roof in 3D when far away

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all

Has anyone experienced this issue before? In 3D mode, the outlines of walls are showing through the roof when you are zoomed far away. The roof and walls are trimmed via the Trim operation. When you zoom in closer the outline of the walls disappear.

It looks fine in 2D roof plan view.

Any resolution would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Ben
7 REPLIES 7
It it not just you benjamin_chan,
it's a long standing problem with ArchiCAD that never gets fixed. Apparently GS does not think it is very important. Either that, or it is a really difficult problem to fix. ??

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Lingwisyer
Guru
I see most of my rafters through my roofs from a distance in the 3d window. Not really an issue I find though as it renders correctly. One aspect it might impact though is the refresh of the 3d window might a bit slower... a lot more contours that don't actually need to be calculated...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Barry Kelly
Try playing with the 'Contours' settings in 3D styles.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tried playing with all sorts of Contours settings in 3D styles to no avail.

It seems like it's a general issue across 3D modelling programmes (sketchup and revit seem to have this problem as well).
In this specific case it looks like you could be using the Roof Accessory tool for Roof Surfacing. ( could be a texture too - not sure) If you give Geometry box 3 a dimension of say 1/16" or so it may solve your problem. It works for me. As you can see in this picture one roof has no space between the roof sheathing and the metal roof surface object, and the selected one does.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Bruce
Expert
Does this just show in the 3D window? Are renders and 3D documents ok? If so, this is just a function of the ‘live” display. Many 3D programs do this to speed up refresh - it’s not a bug or a fault.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello everyone,

Yes, it is very common, but it is not a bug, it's just how OpenGL works. Since those edges and the outside surface of the roof are very close to each other, after a certain distance, it just overlaps. You should also see similar things through thicker elements as well from greater distance.
If you use very thin layers of coating on something, that can also give you a "flashing surface effect". These are just a limitations of our OpenGL technology, since the focus of the OpenGL was never to make renders/visuals, but creating a relatively fast 3D workspace.

Since this is just a display issue that's only present in OpenGL, renders in Cinerender and the Vectorial Engine should not be affected.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Learn and get certified!