Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Overhang gable walls / 2 roofs, 1 gable wall in between, how to solve the intersecion?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
As you can see in attach, I have building, made from 2 corpus, with 2 different overhanging roofs, and one gable wall in the middle, that has some parts that are inside, and some parts outside. So, I would like to hear your recommendations about approach to get correct, or at least possible solution for:

1. How to trim middle gabble wall with two different roofs, If we have on both sides a roof offset of 80cm. But roof offset only outside the building?

2. How to solve the wall composite, as for example, outside I need to have insulation but inside not. Outside area I marked with white pen. There should be insulation and final façade finishing. The same situation is from other side of house, but just mirrored. And inside I need structure of that wall plus plaster or similar internal finishing.

Is that possible to do with one wall, or I need to make more. What's your advice? this type of roofing is not rare, but it's first time I'm handling with it.

Thanks for your response in advance!!
5 REPLIES 5
Yes. That is a common problem for me too. To be brief, I manage that with Solid Element Operations.
Using the roof sheathing and/or ceilings as operators to strip off the siding where it is not wanted. You may need to change some skins for the sake of having what is not removed so up correctly when the siding is removed per the SEO. In that particular case, I would model the gable end walls separate from the walls supporting them. Not necessary but might be helpful ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

DGSketcher
Legend
Never an easy one these types of connections. From what you describe you probably need two wall types for above and below roof. I assume you are familiar with placing SEO operators on a separate layer with a unique intersection number to avoid the layer contents impacting the rest of the model. With this in place I have taken to using a Shell profile with zero thickness to split the walls to the required roof profile.

Just a suggestion and I'm sure only one of many alternatives available in AC.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
Yes. That is a common problem for me too. To be brief, I manage that with Solid Element Operations.
Using the roof sheathing and/or ceilings as operators to strip off the siding where it is not wanted. You may need to change some skins for the sake of having what is not removed so up correctly when the siding is removed per the SEO. In that particular case, I would model the gable end walls separate from the walls supporting them. Not necessary but might be helpful ?
Thanks man! I'm finishing now other complexities on projects, and I will return here after. Seems that SEO is best option, till they make perfect trimming, overhangs, roof offset, composites, etc. I mean, they should make more procedural options for as, so we are flexible to make accurate and in easy steps BIM model. Till then, still 2d drawing is must option.
Anonymous
Not applicable
DGSketcher wrote:
Never an easy one these types of connections. From what you describe you probably need two wall types for above and below roof. I assume you are familiar with placing SEO operators on a separate layer with a unique intersection number to avoid the layer contents impacting the rest of the model. With this in place I have taken to using a Shell profile with zero thickness to split the walls to the required roof profile.

Just a suggestion and I'm sure only one of many alternatives available in AC.
I completelly forget to use Shells, I used morph to cut upward part, but will try with shells cheers!!
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I ussually 'trim' walls in these situations with the adjustable window opening that has a sloping top (on a Dutch library here, so I do not know the exact name of the library part in English). If you set these to display as projected rather than symbolic, you have a good floor plan representation of the wall. If there is a different wall in terms of composite inside, I use display order to hide the unwanted bits below the 'outside' wall. I then use SEO where I substract the outer wall from the inner wall.

All looks fine in floorplan and 3D (sections/elevations).

To get the slope right with the window is just a matter of selecting wall and roof, view both in 3D and there are adjustable hotspots on the window to just snap to the roof where needed.

Tip: to get correct zone area values for the floorplan. Set the 'trimmed' wall to no effect on zones and draw a roof level line and set that to be the zone boundary.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5