BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Overlaping object

Anonymous
Not applicable
I d have a tricky question.
If you draw two identical objects, slabs, beam,..., does archicad understand that it is only one and discard the second object?

If that so, when you are adding two elementos that shares an edge, why do you have to erase the added element, i.e. for creating one big slab by adding two slabs adjoined slabs.
4 REPLIES 4
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Similar building materials of slabs touching eachother will merge in sections, same goes for walls, roofs, etc. Some elements interact with other elements too, like collumns and walls, walls and slabs etc there is a list in your help documentation somewhere.

For objects it works a little different, here it is about what section fill is used in the script.

If elements are on different layers with different intersection group numbers, the fills will not merge.

That said, unless, for example, a slab has a different thickness or is part of a repeating hotlinked module, I would draw it as one slab, as you will also see the extra edges in 2D plan.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Barry Kelly
darwinland wrote:
If you draw two identical objects, slabs, beam,..., does archicad understand that it is only one and discard the second object?
No, both elements will remain.
Sometimes you won't notice and other times you may have trouble with connected elements.
There is an add-on (goodie) that you can download and install that can be used to check for duplicate elements.
Go to HELP menu > Archicad Downloads if you don't have it already.
Click on the "Add-ons' link and download the 'Goodies'.
darwinland wrote:
If that so, when you are adding two elementos that shares an edge, why do you have to erase the added element, i.e. for creating one big slab by adding two slabs adjoined slabs.
If you mean adding one slab to another with the pet palette command then you are not actually merging the slabs.
You are just adding the area of one slab to the other, but it could just as easily be the additional area of a fill, or walls, or roof, etc.
It is just an area you are adding.
That is why you still need to manually delete the slab you are adding.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
darwinland wrote:
No, both elements will remain.
Sometimes you won't notice and other times you may have trouble with connected elements.
There is an add-on (goodie) that you can download and install that can be used to check for duplicate elements.
Go to HELP menu > Archicad Downloads if you don't have it already.
Click on the "Add-ons' link and download the 'Goodies'.
darwinland wrote:
If you mean adding one slab to another with the pet palette command then you are not actually merging the slabs.
You are just adding the area of one slab to the other, but it could just as easily be the additional area of a fill, or walls, or roof, etc.
It is just an area you are adding.
That is why you still need to manually delete the slab you are adding.

Thx, and to merge the slabs then...

Barry.
Barry Kelly
Unfortunately you can't merge slabs together.
All you can do is add the area to one of the slabs and then delete the slab you just used for the extra area.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!