BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

PLA Archive file library parts

Tom Krowka
Booster
When saving to a .PLA archive file, one of the choices asks if one wants to "include all parts in...…" "Local libraries: Save all parts from all loaded libraries." .
Am not clear whether this means all parts from the libraries (which basically means copying the entire library) or if it simply means only saving the library parts that are included in the .PLN file.
Thanks Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
Include all parts means literally all parts in you loaded libraries - the entire libraries.

If you don't tick that option you will get just the parts used in the file.
From memory this may miss some CALLED macros, I think it depends on how the objects are scripted.

Including all would be the best option if you think you will want to do further work on the file in the future or if it is for someone else to use.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Tom Krowka
Booster
It seems to me it would be a smaller file to simply include parts that are used in the project. Upon opening the PLA file in the future migrate library’s from that appropriate version. Do you see a problem with that approach
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Barry Kelly
Nope.
I think migration should be fine if you are using GS libraries.

If you are using a 3rd party library then I think it would be a good idea to include the whole thing - just in case you can no longer find it in 5 years when you re-open the file.

Actually I would ask the question do you really need to archive as a PLA at all?

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Barry wrote:
Actually I would ask the question do you really need to archive as a PLA at all?
The archive can also save textures, so any project specific textures are also saved. I always archive my projects when putting them to rest.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Barry Kelly
David wrote:
The archive can also save textures, so any project specific textures are also saved. I always archive my projects when putting them to rest.

The textures are also found in a library.
So if you have access to that library then again I would question if the PLA is required.

You can also save these textures and project specific objects in the embedded library, so we basically have a built-in archive already.
The only real problem with this is if the embedded library starts to get very large, then it may slow the file down a bit.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Barry wrote:
The textures are also found in a library.
So if you have access to that library then again I would question if the PLA is required.
If the user has created, modified or downloaded a custom texture, or is using project specific libraries, then these textures will not be found in the standard ArchiCAD libraries (as well as any custom/non-standard library parts). Given the low-cost of storage, archiving projects is a safer choice.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Learn and get certified!