BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

PLA as a Library Folder into a new PLN

rob2218
Enthusiast
I have a PLA a client sent me.
I'm in need of using that PLA as a Library Folder cause if I don't....I get the 'BLUE DOTS OF DEATH' in missing lines, objects, walls, etc...on and on.

My question is as follows:
1. How can I continue to use the PLA (cause I can't seem to NOT use it) but clean the file out so I do have access to the objects, linetypes..etc but NOT the layers, layer combos, etc.
2. If I bring in the new Library link as the PLA...will it bring in the layers and layer combos (I can't stand the layer combo and layer naming convention this fellow has adopted - won't name who's layer naming conventions they are cause I feel the individual who set up this architects layer naming convention has "some" very terrific tutorials but his layer and STRICT adherence to HIS standards drive me bonkers)...
3. How can I pull out "some" of the objects, information out so's I can have a clean PLA to link up to other projects?

thanks for the suggestions.

BIM Design
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
2 REPLIES 2
Karl Ottenstein
As always with questions like this ... just try it! You don't have to save the results.

You will find that loading a PLA as a library will in fact load only the library parts... because no library can cause layers etc to be added. (Well, not 100% true... some attributes can be created by a master script, but highly unlikely a PLA from a client would do that.)

It doesn't make sense to load the entire PLA that contains the model as a library though... when you open the PLA you should have an option to save the library to a folder. Do that and then load that library folder (project library) as you move forward... cleaning up the objects in that folder as needed.

If working with a PLA, don't open, work with it, and then re-save as a PLA. The PLA is an archive format - not a intended as a working format.

This unpacking of a PLA is a really fundamental AC skill that everyone should know how to do... since creating a PLA of a project when it is finished is also a fundamental thing every office should do in order to archive everything required to restore the project.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rob2218
Enthusiast
Thanks Karl
That makes sense.
Although.....each and every time I've tried to save ANY PLN to a PLA, I get the same message...."Some items will not be saved...Save Anyway?"......

I mean, at that point, what choice does the user have?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Learn and get certified!