BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Panther vs fonts

Rick Thompson
Expert
Thought I'd pass this along incase someone else runs into something similar. I moved to a new computer and all seemed fine. After installing Panther every time I would plot a lbk PM would crash. But, I could plot one sheet at a time. I could still plot from a powerbook as before, but PM would crash on the G5. I got this suggesting from support>>>

I discussed this issue with the responsible developer. According to his assumption it might caused by a corrupt fonttype or a wrong RAM module. But all this just assumption. Please check it if it is possible.

I had installed the font I use, MrHand by dragging it from the powerbook, and all seemed well until Panther. After trashing the font and restarting the same file (with a substituted font) would plot fine. I reinstalled the font and so far seem to be plotting as expected. I assume installing Panther corrupted the font, (PM was working till then) but I guess there is no way to know. But, it surpassed me as to the cause.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
So how's the new Font Book utility included with Panther?
Does it have any usable functionality beyond turning fonts on & off?
Rick Thompson
Expert
symm wrote:
So how's the new Font Book utility included with Panther?
Does it have any usable functionality beyond turning fonts on & off?
thanks for the reminder...I forgot all about it
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
This has more to do with OS X in general and fonts, but...

Ever since I went to OS X from 9, any custom fonts that were available on Windows as "Font Name Western" and "Font Name" on the Mac no longer finds itself when you transfer to the other platform. With OS 9, when a font was established in Windows as "Font Name Western," it would remap itself to "Font Name" on the Mac. But, as stated, it no longer does this in OS X. It defaults to your system default font, and is listed with [brackets] around the font name, meaning it is missing.

Anyone experience this, or find a fix?

So far, only the fonts Arial, Courier, Lucida, Times New Roman, and a few others are truly dual compatible.

Rex
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
Anonymous
Not applicable
What I had discovered when this was happening to me is that if the font was "in use" (even though it wasn't) I had to make a copy of the fonts folder on the original HD rename the file, restart and then drag the copy from there to the new OS for it to work properly.

HTH
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick, concerning fonts and Panther. You could have a corrupt font or a font that became corrupt. I had similar problems with Mr. Hand and other fonts as well. There is a great little program called "FontDoctor X". Go to www.MorrisonSoftDesign.com and they have a free version you can download and test all your fonts. To fix anything you will need to buy it, but it's pretty inexpensive. Does anyone know of a font called ARchitxt and is it still available?
Thanks,
Mike Venechuk
Learn and get certified!