Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Parametric Profile: How to create a foundation wall with an adjustable height brick ledge?

4hotshoes
Advisor
I have been trying his and the brick ledge will not move up and down independent of the rest of the wall. I may not have my offset modifiers correct. The core wall is concrete and the ledge is concrete.

Is there a tutorial that addresses how to set up a parametric profile that works and talks about why something works or does not work? the documentation is vague.
Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can find all relevant information here.
Read if carefully and you will get it right.

Cheers,
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Can you post a diagram/image of what you'd like to achieve and we can help.
The concept of offset modifiers, is similar to that of clicking on a slab edge and moving an edge. To move something (not just an edge), you have to add multiple edges to the one modifier, so each edge moves the same distant relative to the dimension its anchor.
You can also use Stretch Modifiers (like in previous versions) so the middle section stretches but not the ledge.

Thanks.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
4hotshoes
Advisor
I would like the "Ledge Ht" to be changeable higher or lower than the Nominal Height. I am unable to do that.
Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
4hotshoes wrote:
I would like the "Ledge Ht" to be changeable higher or lower than the Nominal Height. I am unable to do that.
When you change the value of Ledge Ht to a negative value it should be higher than the rest of the wall. If you want the values to be reversed, so when the ledge is taller it is positive, when you’ll need to change the geometry in the profile editor so that ledge it above the wall.
If you want the nominal to not include the ledge height, then hover and click on the top of the Nominal dimension and assign that end of the dimension to a node that you want to connect it to. By default nominal dimensions follows the bounding box.
James Badcock
DGSketcher
Legend
I had a similar L shape to deal with recently formed with two different materials. The attached may help.

The reason the nominal dimensions are set to the recess was to provide dimensioning nodes, which would otherwise just be set to the bounding box in my beam section (not detail) drawing.

@JamesB: Is there a way to invoke parametric nodes (hot spots) within the profile as some shapes do require more dimensioning than just the bounding box and don't justify being exploded into a detail?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
DGSketcher wrote:
@JamesB: Is there a way to invoke parametric nodes (hot spots) within the profile as some shapes do require more dimensioning than just the bounding box and don't justify being exploded into a detail?
Hotspots placed into the Profile will "generally" move with Parametric Edges, and that hotspot is what Dimensions attach to - as they have unique identifiers so they can keep attached to the dimension even when the shape changes. Or do you want to move a single node and not an edge?
James Badcock
DGSketcher
Legend
I placed a hotspot at the internal corner and it remained static. I would be quite happy dimensioning to an edge if the dimensions are then associative and follow any offset modifier values. Is there a “trick” to achieving this?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Barry Kelly
Make sure your hotspot is exactly at the end of the modifier line.
Anywhere else and they wont stretch with the profile.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend
Barry: Thank you. You are correct but this works with walls and not the new beam tool in AC23, which is where I need it to function correctly.

James: Unfortunately in AC23 3003 UKI FULL on MAC the hotspots are associative but remain in their original locations. From a programming perspective I was hoping the ends of the modifiers would provide parametric node points that dimensioning could follow. I do recall during Beta flagging up a something along these lines, clearly it hasn't been fixed yet!