BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Partial wall intersections

david_skogvold
Booster
Hi,

I have a problem with certain T-intersections where one wall (for instance an internal load-bearing concrete wall) extends halfway into the core of an exterior wall (8" timber framing with 200 mm insulation).

Working with building materials I can only get the concrete wall to
1) Stop at the inner edge of the 8" core
2) Cut straight through to the exterior windbreak

However, I need the wall to stop right in the middle, leaving the outer 100 mm of the insulated timber framing intact, to reduce thermal bridging. Pretty standard detail where I work / live.

I can adjust reference lines and avoid the automatic cleanup, but then I have to use display order to make sure the concrete wall shows on top of the exterior wall, as nothing is actually cut from the model this way.

How is this modeled in an efficient and "correct" manner? I understand that I can split the exterior wall and then use a "thinner" composite in front of every concrete wall end, that works but has its own problems re. model clutter and upkeep. Hopefully someone knows a better way..?

regards,
david
2 REPLIES 2
Lingwisyer
Guru
You either cut or don't cut. The only way I can see your desired detail automatically cleaning up is if you create two half skins for your insulation that each have a different IP. The concrete having an IP between the two. But in doing so you will end up with incorrect labelling.

Another option, though not automatic, is to use a column such as others have used to clean up awkward wall intersections. Related thread can be found here.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Barry Kelly
david.skogvold wrote:
I can adjust reference lines and avoid the automatic cleanup, but then I have to use display order to make sure the concrete wall shows on top of the exterior wall, as nothing is actually cut from the model this way.

Yes you will need to do this if you do not want to use the automatic cleanup of the walls when the reference lines touch.

If you do want to use the automatic cleanup then use to skins for the insulation as Ling has suggested - the outside one must be stronger than the intersecting concrete wall.
You will need to play around with the strengths of your building materials so that the ones you want cut are weaker then the intersecting wall and the ones you do't want cut are stronger.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!