Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Pasting Buildings onto a Contour Model

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have made a 3d contour model of a site and am trying to copy and paste building designs from other archicad projects which i have made onto the contour model all at varying heights. I'm having trouble. Firstly, when I'm trying to copy buildings from other archicad files i cant select all the building elements at the same time, i can only copy and paste each story of each building onto the contour model seperatly.
Secondly i cant seem to find out how to move the whole building up or down on the contour model. I can only change the elevation of certain parts of it. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thank-you.

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Check out Multi Story Hotlink modules from your help menu
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your help, I am now able to import the building, however when i hotlink it my roof is now not connected to my walls. Do you know how i can fix this?

thanks.

Barry Kelly
willy684 wrote:
Thanks for your help, I am now able to import the building, however when i hotlink it my roof is now not connected to my walls. Do you know how i can fix this?

thanks.

Are your storey height settings the same in your building model and your site model?
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
that seems to be the problem, the stories are at different levels for each building. Is there a way i can merge the stories together? If i change the story value then my other buildings' roofs do not match up correctly.
Barry Kelly
willy684 wrote:
that seems to be the problem, the stories are at different levels for each building. Is there a way i can merge the stories together? If i change the story value then my other buildings' roofs do not match up correctly.
That's a long standing problem.
When you add a hotlinked file it adopts the storey settings of the file you are adding it too.
There isn't much you can do about it except adding each building storey in as a separate hotlink and adjusting it's height.
Or maybe view the building in 3D and save the entire building as an object.
Then add this object to your contour file at the required height.
I think this was a solution to the problem discussed some time ago.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry is right.

The hotlink solution has to be done floor by floor unless all the floor to floor heights are consistent throughout the project.

The save as library part method goes all the way back to version 4 (or even 3) and is still good. It is easier to place the single building models but you lose layer control and the updating process is a little more work.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the help, I hotlinked each story in seperatly and then changed their height. worked perfectly.