BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Piece of wall sticking out in space see photo

Anonymous
Not applicable
They are all the same type complex profile wall. I tried deleting everything else and still these little wings appear.
Anyone know what this is from?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxih2ibkqerih8n/Screenshot%202018-07-04%2015.53.07.png?dl=0[img][/img]
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Lingwisyer
Guru
So it was connecting to the wall below it? Had similar looking issues with courtyard walls and such but it only happened when one was end to end with the other due to meeting at corners. Where instead of connecting around the corner, the wall would connect to the lower courtyard wall... Hence I created new layers for court walls and independent cladding.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
DGSketcher
Legend
I was hoping with the new stretchy profiles that this would have been fixed

For me It seems to occur when you have complex walls with a vertical overlap and the wall below is wider e.g. the footings are part of the wall. Best fix I found was not to overlap parts of the wall, so that wall tops are flush where they meet.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmmm... Both walls are complex profiles.
The brick wall above has the brick veneer dropping below the story so that it sits on top of a brick ledge on the foundation wall below which is also a complex profile with a brick ledge and sill plate.
Come to think of it, the anomaly is precisely where these two walls meet.

Thanks for pointing that out.
I can’t believe there isn’t some magical fix for this?

Maybe I’ll try adjusting my complex profiles to leave a 1/16” gap so the two walls don’t touch?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's a 3d marquee highlighting the random projection of sill plate from the foundation below dragging a piece of brick veneer from the exterior wall above into space....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/40lur4g9disenwm/Screenshot%202018-07-04%2019.08.58.png?dl=0
Anonymous
Not applicable
SOLVED!

I simply put the foundation walls on a layer with a different "intersection group number" than the exterior walls above.

Wow, are you kidding me?!
Why isn't this in bold capital letters at the beginning of the help file on Complex Profiles in the documentation?
Solution
Lingwisyer
Guru
So it was connecting to the wall below it? Had similar looking issues with courtyard walls and such but it only happened when one was end to end with the other due to meeting at corners. Where instead of connecting around the corner, the wall would connect to the lower courtyard wall... Hence I created new layers for court walls and independent cladding.

Anonymous
Not applicable
It was connecting to the wall below and dragging sections of the wall past the corners by about a foot or so but only where the sill plate from the foundation wall below and the brick front the wall above where meeting.

Of course now that those foundation walls have a different intersection group number I have other issues with clean up with the slabs down near the footings.
However the slabs are a composite so I just spilt them up into two simple slabs and adjusted the overlapping with the foundation wall.
If you know what I mean...

It’s a shame, complex profiles solve one problem and create another.
Lingwisyer
Guru
ArchiCAD does weird things when reference lines meet sometimes... One prime culprit is when you are working with modules. I find that it is best to create your modules in a way that reference lines do not join end to end or run along the same line between each module otherwise things start disappearing or extending beyond where they should...

Ling.

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Sometimes having the walls on 'home story only' when they only span one story helps with these connections too. It's better to not have 'jagged' connections, where two walls sort of invade their private space, as it were.

I ussually model these with one complex profile, or I make a clean vertical cut (ussually at the bottom of the ground floor slab in terms of Z value) between the two. That might mean having a bit of the brick finish in your foundation complex profile. Might lead to having some extra foundation complex profiles, but avoids these weird bits sticking out and still allows for building material connections (you lose these between different intersection groups).
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

Thank you for sharing, back in the day. Still finding this helpful years after.

Learn and get certified!