BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Pilasters - how to model

Anonymous
Not applicable
Was wondering what the best way to model pilasters is (I believe that's the proper name - "integrated" columns, or widening of walls to carry point loads). I was using the "W Lesene" block, which happens to be a window object. Problem is that when I need to prepare the structural plans and I ask for a RCP-type plan, they get turned off along with the windows/doors. So, is there a better way to model them, or... a better way to deal with this issue?

Thanks for y'all's help.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Use columns. Just read docs. It's pretty simple.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was trying to have it display as a truer monolithic construction. With columns you would see the lines. Less of a problem in the grand scheme of things, I suppose. Time to change all of them...

Thanks for a simpler solution, though. Are there any other ways to show it "accurately as it's built"? One of the main things that I prefered in my version was the fact that the walls and pilasters were one unit, and would move together if needed. Columns would need to be grouped...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sergio wrote:
...With columns you would see the lines.......?
Use a blank line by modefinf a Dot Line Type.
Joseph
Anonymous
Not applicable
What lines you are talking about ? Do it properly and you will have no lines. Send a file I will check it out.
TomWaltz
Participant
Sergio wrote:
I was trying to have it display as a truer monolithic construction. With columns you would see the lines. Less of a problem in the grand scheme of things, I suppose. Time to change all of them... .
Are your columns set to clean with the wall? What lines are you seeing?

I've routinely used columns for pilasters just because they clean up well with walls and can have skins "wrap" around them,
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, my name is Sergio and I am a novice AC user...
TomWaltz wrote:
Are your columns set to clean with the wall? What lines are you seeing?
The lines that appear when... columns don't clean with the wall...? (boy, do I feel sheepish). I guess I haven't used columns for a while seeing how they didn't seem to work the way I wanted them to. So naturally, I didn't even consider them for this application.
I've routinely used columns for pilasters just because they clean up well with walls and can have skins "wrap" around them,
I noticed the "Lesene" thingamabob object in my stroll through the library, and I just assumed that since it looked like it did what I was looking for, that it would be the ONLY thing that would work. Thanks guys for opening my eyes... (kinda bright out here though)...
Learn and get certified!