BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Plan View not displaying correctly with Complex Profile

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to create a wall with a Stone skin and sill below the window and siding above the sill (when there is no window). I used a composite wall (1/2"gwb, 5 1/2" studs, 1/2" sheathing, 3/4" air space, 3/4" siding) as the full wall and then applied the complex profile of a stone skin with sill (1"air space, 3 1/2" stone, sill on top). I lined up the inside face of the sill to the inside face of the siding so that SEO would cut the siding leaving the air space. Not perfect but reasonable in section. The problem is that in plan it appears to cut off the siding and the ends of the windows which are flush with the siding. I have tried the different projection setting but to no avail. I was hoping that material priorities would cut automatically but it didnt work so SEO was what I did. Any thoughts on the projection of the sill taking over the wall? Thanks.

Plan View.jpg
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Section View doesn't show the window like in the plan as I removed it to see if it changed anything. Siding is cut off as well without window. Extra copy of skin is for reference to show what I used.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Any ideas? I still haven't identified why the complex profile is dominating the composite wall. I have tried different settings in plan view and am stumped. I suppose I could make a complete complex profile of the whole assembly but I liked the ability to add the stone skin with the right sill level as it has a variable height setting in the complex profile. It also keeps the main wall as a complete element. I am sure there are Archicad experts out there who can tell me I am approaching it the wrong way. I am still willing to learn!!
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Ridgebacks:

I tried replicating your situation and could not get the Profiled Wall to override the Complex Wall in Plan view, using AC17. Maybe more information about reference lines, Wall Display Options, Floor Plan Cut Plane, a section at the window will clarify.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
Wall_Complex_Wall_Profiled.png
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for trying David.

I have tried to compile some info on my obviously flawed setup.
CW-Composite wall:1/2" gwb|2"x6" studs|1/2" ply|3/4" air space|3/4" siding|reference line inside core
CP-Complex Profile:1" air space|3 1/2" stone|limestone sill at top (variable height)|reference line edge of fdn wall

Image 1 - Walls after SEO in section - looks fine.
SEO steps:
1. Floor(op)-CW(tar)-Subtract downwards (cleans up below slab as wall extends to top of fdn wall - keeps sheathing continuous to fdn wall)
2. CW (tar)-CP(op)-Subtract (cleans up siding, merges air space)
Image 2 - Walls before SEO to show overlapping elements.
Image 3 - Plan view showing CW and windows selected
Image 3x - Plan view showing CP selected
Image 4 - Plan view as generated showing window and siding cut off
Image 5 - settings of CP
Image 6 - settings of CW
Image 7 - model view options

Thanks for your help.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Images
Images.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Images
Anonymous
Not applicable
So I tried something simple on another project.

Two simple walls, one 10" thick and one 4" thick. The 10" wall is taller and wider and the 4" wall is partially embedded in it. The cut plane is above the 4" wall but it still takes over the plan view. I must have a setting set that I don't know about preventing normal display.

My apologies at my ignorance.
Barry Kelly
You can use the display order to bring the 2D display of one wall in front of the other but that will only work if your walls have solid fills (or at least the one that is covering the others must be solid).
If they are transparent (or semi-transparent) you will always see the other walls throught them regardless of the display order.

If you don't want to see the lower wall at all then set its floor plan display to 'Cut only' - but I don't think that is what you are trying to do.

Not sure if this is going to help with your original complex profile situation.

Barry.
wall-display-order.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry. How would you propose to draw a wall with multiple finishes and have it display properly in section and plan? It is a common residential wall type. There must be a way to show the upper wall correctly in the cut plane on plan and only the sill edge of the wall below? (and not cut off windows). I could line the inner face of the stone and sill below with the outer edge of the siding. That would work in plan but not in section. Thanks again.
Learn and get certified!