BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Plan view wall intersections?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm going to search the archives too, but need to know as soon as possible if
changing the reference line location is a good place to start trying to clean up wall intersections. When I created the exterior composite walls I did several all with the reference line on the foundation slab edge. Among the exterior walls I have defined are 2 x 6 studs with stucco only, 2 x 6 studs with 3/8" ply wd. and stucco and 2 x 6 studs with 1/2" ply wd. and stucco. My thought in doing this was that for now I would model the house with just the stucco and later when I get the engineering done it would be easy to alt click in the 3/8" or 1/2" ply wd. versions. I also went ahead and spent quite a bit of time doing dimensions on the floor plan. Guess that was a mistake, because I just started to try to get these intersections to read correctly and the only way I have found to do it is to relocate the reference lines which is also affecting my dimensions. Reference lines are now ending up where ever they need to be to get a clean intersection with the different conditions presented where they meet interior walls and themselves. Am going to post some diff. condition jpgs
The first (below) is where the interior garage to house wall is a 2 x 6 wall w/ 5/8" type "X" gyp bd., still air space, R-21 fiberglass batt insulation, &
5/8" gyp bd. on the bedroom side. This wall meets the exterior wall corner condition which are both 2 x 6 walls with stucco (7/8" exterior cement plaster over paper backed mtl. lath and building paper), still air space, R-21 insulation and 5/8" gyp bd. Am going ahead and insulating the garage door wall because the client wants to turn into living space and add a garage and casita as ancillary separate structure later.

Thanks for any help! I'm falling into another learning curve black hole.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay this jpg. below shows clean wall intersections, but I had to put the reference lines wherever they needed to be to achieve the clean (correct)
representation. So, whatever logic I thought of in the original placement and location within the wall is completely ridiculous isn't it?
Reference line placement within the wall is best used to get the intersection to
read correctly right? Then it follows that one probably should not do the building plan dimensions untill all of the intersections are correct?

Does all that sound right? Or, am I missing the boat?
I have missed the boat a lot in life.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Jonathan:

I have been able to keep the Wall Reference Lines where I want them, so I think you should look at some other options.
In your first screen shot (2 by 6 walls firecode gyp to stucco.jpg), do all the wall layers have the same Layer Intersection Group Number? That was the only way I could reproduce your image.
Also use the Walls' Junction Order (Help file: Virtual Building > Construction Elements > Element Intersections > Specific Element Intersections and Junctions) to help change how 3 walls interact at a junction.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Good morning David,

I did manage to get all the intersections to clean up yesterday by manipulating the reference line location within the walls (found some old posts, via search, and that's what they were doing). Then, before going to bed decided to go ahead and correct all the dimension strings that had been adversely affected.
Thought I would be able to move on today until I read your post...Ugh.
Was just explaining to my wife about how I haven't a clue about the two concepts you brought up when I realized that I do know about one of them. The Layer intersection group number! Haven't had to use this for
years, but remember it having a profound graphical effect. Going to see what I can find out about the walls' Junction Order now. Not sure if I know anything about this or not.
I think the right thing to do here, is to put everything back (I think I saved a file somewhere from a couple of days ago, before changing the reference lines)...No that won't work, will have to go backwards to move forward. Here we go again:-)
Yes, my interior and exterior walls have the same Layer Intersection Group Number. Do they need to be different numbers?

After several attempts to follow the string:
(Help file: Virtual Building > Construction Elements > Element Intersections > Specific Element Intersections and Junctions)
Giving up for now - The help file takes me to the jpg below and if I search virtual building it takes me to earlier versions of archicad info for pre BIM explorer stuff.

David wrote:
Jonathan:

I have been able to keep the Wall Reference Lines where I want them, so I think you should look at some other options.
In your first screen shot (2 by 6 walls firecode gyp to stucco.jpg), do all the wall layers have the same Layer Intersection Group Number? That was the only way I could reproduce your image.
Also use the Walls' Junction Order (Help file: Virtual Building > Construction Elements > Element Intersections > Specific Element Intersections and Junctions) to help change how 3 walls interact at a junction.

David

help file virtual building.jpg
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Jonathan wrote:
Yes, my interior and exterior walls have the same Layer Intersection Group Number. Do they need to be different numbers?
They should be the same, making them different was the only way I could find to get your posted result.
Jonathan wrote:
(Help file: Virtual Building > Construction Elements > Element Intersections > Specific Element Intersections and Junctions)
Giving up for now - The help file takes me to the jpg below and if I search virtual building it takes me to earlier versions of archicad info for pre BIM explorer stuff.
In the search box try "Specific Element Intersections and Junctions", it should take to to a link for this page:Specific Element Intersections and Junctions.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks David.
The link took me there and I saved the page in favorite places to look at when I have time. Looks like good stuff.
I decided to just leave my plan alone for now, because even though the reference lines are not where I wanted them initially, it's working.
At least I am actually using the composites on a real job and am pleased with the building sections and elevations. They are much better than before.

David wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
They should be the same, making them different was the only way I could find to get your posted result.
Jonathan wrote:
In the search box try "Specific Element Intersections and Junctions", it should take to to a link for this page:Specific Element Intersections and Junctions.

David
Learn and get certified!