BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Plotmaker 9 on MacIntel crashes when print

Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
has anybody experienced any incompatibilities when running Plotmaker 9 on a MacIntel??? Ok i now i should migrate to AC10, but i need to print some books right now...
The minute i click on "print" plotmaker crashes!!! And it does so with both an Imac and MacPro... i can regularly print from Archicad9...
Mac OSX 13.6.6 | AC 27 INT 5003 FULL
6 REPLIES 6
__archiben
Booster
Achille wrote:
The minute i click on "print" plotmaker crashes!!! And it does so with both an Imac and MacPro... i can regularly print from Archicad9...
unfortunately, since archicad and plotmaker 9 are not supported when running through rosetta, this is the kind of issue you may well run into that there are no solutions for. if you are using an intel mac, upgrading to archicad 10 and installing the intel build is the only 'safe' option . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
thank you ben! I'm not sure i understand what you mean, when you say:
~/archiben wrote:
unfortunately, since archicad and plotmaker 9 are not supported when running through rosetta

do you mean that you cannot run archicad9 and plotmaker together, or that generically they are not supported? because ac9 runs pretty much ok on macIntel...
__archiben
Booster
Achille wrote:
do you mean that you cannot run archicad9 and plotmaker together, or that generically they are not supported? because ac9 runs pretty much ok on macIntel...
any application that isn't written specifically for a mactel chips (an "intel build" or a "universal binary") has to run through emulation software in order to work. a bit like virtual PC used to be, but the technology has much improved: rather than emulate the older chip technology, apple have licensed a piece of software called 'rosetta'. it's built into OSX intel systems and dynamically translates older mac chip (PowerPC) software into a format that the intel chips can handle.

although rosetta does a great job at running the older software with only a slightly discernible drop in performance, there are still some aspects of the chip's architecture that it cannot translate for. therefore any software that makes use of those aspects of the older chip do not run properly when translated by rosetta. archicad and plotmaker 9 are both PPC applications and i doubt that there will ever be an intel upgrade to them now that archicad 10 is out.

graphisoft announced some time ago that AC/PM wouldn't be supported when running through rosetta, so i guess that some routines of archicad 9/plotmaker 9 may be requiring aspects of the PPC chips that rosetta can't handle. therefore you're getting the crashes.

hope this made sense . . !
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
In our office ArchiCAD 9 and PM worked on a Intel iMac. The only problem we have had was to print via the Mac OS X-Printer-Sharing feature. When we printed from the Intel iMac to Printer connected to PPC-Macs, PM crashed. From HP-Driver-Page, you can download an InkJet-Driver Set for Intel Macs.

After some investigations, we figured out, that we have the InkJet-Driver Set for Intel Macs also to install on the PPC-Macs. After that, it worked.
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
...after some research and advice from my local reseller the problem has been solved... it was not a problem of plotmaker but of the system... when setting as first language english instead of greek, i was able to print without problem... obscure problem
thanks for the answers
Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually I have the same problem but on an Intel. Whenever I try to send a print command on my laser printer the program throws me to the desktop. This goes both for Archicad and Plotmaker. The print window comes up and then crashes me to the desktop. I do have the Greek version of Windows XP but my first language is US English. Any clues? It's not a major problem because I print at photocopy shops but still... I cant print a preview A4 when needed
Learn and get certified!