Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Plumbing wet wall in hotlinked apartment to cut through slab

seitantaco
Contributor

Technical question here from a newbie - Our multi-story residential project has a bunch of hotlinked apartment layout variations (from a single .mod file) per floor; say, four apartments per floor. Boss would like that the plumbing wet walls (i.e. adjacent the bathroom) in each apartment cut through the floor slab. Is it possible to have some sort of subtraction/opening object in the hotlink module file itself, and have it cut through the floor in the main model? Or - as we're still evaluating different apartment layouts - do we have to move the .mod apartments and the opening objects together each time?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

[Typically, vertical structure on a frame building, and stairs-elevators-mechanical-chute shafts with their floor openings, are safer at the building-level file; because those are higher-order elements around which different things happen at different stories, and because even stacking units are usually different in this respect at least at the top and bottom; although in this last respect you could use two mod publishing layer combinations to publish two unit variation modules, with and without slab cutter, from the same unit model. But, regardless:] You could place a “strong (high priority) air” column on the module, which would cut the slab. It can match the slab it is meant to cut in top and bottom elevation, and if you need a finer floor plan representation for the opening you can add 2D elements. The air column cutter floor plan representation should be symbolic, own story only.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Solution

[Typically, vertical structure on a frame building, and stairs-elevators-mechanical-chute shafts with their floor openings, are safer at the building-level file; because those are higher-order elements around which different things happen at different stories, and because even stacking units are usually different in this respect at least at the top and bottom; although in this last respect you could use two mod publishing layer combinations to publish two unit variation modules, with and without slab cutter, from the same unit model. But, regardless:] You could place a “strong (high priority) air” column on the module, which would cut the slab. It can match the slab it is meant to cut in top and bottom elevation, and if you need a finer floor plan representation for the opening you can add 2D elements. The air column cutter floor plan representation should be symbolic, own story only.

Thanks - the air column method worked perfectly! I maybe attempted to learn too much too fast by also trying my hand at making a GDL object, combining a 2D symbol with a 3D high priority air column, but that didn't manage to cut through anything. I guess sometime simpler's better..

If you are AC24 or 25, you can use the opening tool.

It can even show a plan symbol for the openings it cuts in the slabs if you want.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

But he wants the operator to reside on the module. 

@Ignacio Azpiazu wrote:

But he wants the operator to reside on the module. 

I was just suggesting an option.

Which upon re-reading original posters first post, it seems they have already tried.

I just thought over multiple floors it would be easier to have one opening that can span all storeys, especially if the voids are the same size on each floor and vertically above each other.

Something I haven't tried.

If an opening is placed in a module and has infinite length, can it be used to link to other slabs when hotlinked into another file?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11