Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Poligonal Walls -Window & Doors

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's either staring me in the face, or it's impossible.

I'm currently working on a 17thC stone building with walls that vary in thickness from 30 to 60 cm (ie forming a wedge in plan). As it is a listed building, the walls must be perfect. I draw the tapered wall, but cannot insert windows or openings.

1) Is it possible?

2) Is there a work around?

3) If the answers to above are negative, then why have this wall option if openings cannot be inserted?

I could not find any specific reference to this via the search engine, so if it has already been dealt with, then I apologise profusely. If that is the case, please point me in the right direction without being too patronizing.

Thank you all in advance,

shaun
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
shaun,
You can not insert doors or windows in polygonal walls
but you can in trapezoidal walls.
It sounds like the wall you want to model
is trapezoidal so this wall type should work.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Peter,

I've tried that. Trapezoidal walls don't clean up with adjacent parallel walls, + the openings are inserted perpendicular to the wall axis, which in my case is fatal. I have split the wall into various chunks and inserted "false" walls for the windows: it looks OK in 3D, but needs some serious editing/patches for the construction drawings.

Thanks anyway.

Shaun
Peter wrote:
shaun,
You can not insert doors or windows in polygonal walls
but you can in trapezoidal walls.
It sounds like the wall you want to model
is trapezoidal so this wall type should work.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Shaun,
The special characteristics of your project seem to be
outside Archicad capabilities. It occurs to me to ask if doors and windows had the capability to have wedge shaped frames (in plan) would that
partly solve your problem ?
It sounds like you need doors and windows to place themselves
normal to the plane of the non-reference side of of trapezoid walls as
well as having wedge shaped frames. Is this true ?
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Outside capabiities? a solid modeler a basic simple one I use to use in 1987 on Lisa.

Here is the problem with Archicad: IT IS NOT CAPABLE of basic elementary tasks.

....... o yea MaxonForm !! go by it
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Shaun

As far as I understood your problem could be solved in one way - You must write some special windows objects for your project.

If You have some underatanding of GDL - read carefully about WALLHOLE command - it's a key to solution.

With this command windows/doors could be inserted into wall at any angle to wall axis (as well as to X-Y plane).
TomWaltz
Participant
Adalbert wrote:
Outside capabiities? a solid modeler a basic simple one I use to use in 1987 on Lisa.

Here is the problem with Archicad: IT IS NOT CAPABLE of basic elementary tasks.

....... o yea MaxonForm !! go by it
This isn't really basic or elementary..... but I guess you just needed something to complain about today. Aren't you on Revit yet so you can bother their users instead?
Shaun wrote:
3) If the answers to above are negative, then why have this wall option if openings cannot be inserted?
I always thought this tool was more for oddball corners that did not clean up well in any other way. Aside from that, It seems to not have any real use. I can see where it might be difficult to determine frame sizes and such, but it should have SOME method of making openings.

You could place a slab and use it in a Solid Element Operation to cut the opening, then place a custom object of your window in it.

Is this what you meant by "parallel adjacent" walls? I was able to get them to clean up fine. (though the door has an extra line on it) Did you mean something else?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:

This isn't really basic or elementary..... but I guess you just needed something to complain about today. Aren't you on Revit yet so you can bother their users instead?

Yes it is basic and elementaty and no ned for insults.
One I stated that Archicad needs to improve to the point one can design a Baroque church with it. This is what I call basic the rest just won't do it.

As far as Revit I would but is hard after a 14 year and giving up the Mac.
I decided to wait until Revit has its interactive energy analysys solution. For now I use RISA's Revit version. I will continue using Archicad and why not in parallel with Revit and this for the forseable future. So don't bother be constructive and demanding don't try to cover shortcommings.
Vitruvius
Contributor
I've used the trapezoidal wall because the freeform doesn't allow openings.

You probably need to modify your GDL doors/windows to get the jamb conditions you want as the GS jambs seem to match the wall thickness by default.

The difference between the two walls is the wall reference line location(outside edge of wall in upper pic / inside edge of wall in lower pic). This determines which face your opening is perpendicular to.

If you need a door/window not perpendicular to either wall and weird shaped openings its probably time to experiment with the GDL WALLHOLE command and do a proper symbol for medieval apertures!!

Cheers,
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur
Vitruvius
Contributor
Wall contours ...
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur