Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

Polygonal painting

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi to all,
Is there a way to texture sides of one object (ex columg,slab etc.) differently ? Im asking mainly because while using external render engines such as lumion, textures must be differentiated so that custom textures can be applied ... This feature is common on all modeling softwares.

Im attaching a screenshot to be more specific about the topic that im writting.

Im sorry if this topic was already discussed, i could not find it.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You can achieve this.
I will show you two screenshots, the first shows what to set for the Walls, the other, what to set for the Slabs.
The geometry on the left shows the result, the one on the right shows your current state.
First, you have to select the Walls on the left, and override their Edge Surfaces with the Surface of the Adjoining Wall:

Then, you have to click the specific edge of the Slab and override the Surface applied to it.

Also, make sure the "Uncut Line Pen" setting for all Walls and Slabs is set to the same Pen so they look nice in 3D.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You can achieve this.
I will show you two screenshots, the first shows what to set for the Walls, the other, what to set for the Slabs.
The geometry on the left shows the result, the one on the right shows your current state.
First, you have to select the Walls on the left, and override their Edge Surfaces with the Surface of the Adjoining Wall:

Then, you have to click the specific edge of the Slab and override the Surface applied to it.

Also, make sure the "Uncut Line Pen" setting for all Walls and Slabs is set to the same Pen so they look nice in 3D.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, it worked perfectly.

While everything that Laszlo said is correct and they right way to do it, might I propose that your original problem was more the result, not of texturing incorrectly, but rather of incorrect or poor modeling.

In Archicad the program is developed to help you model and work better by cleaning up the model as you work, but it also follows, or is supposed to follow the Logic of building elements that we use in actually constructing buildings in real life in order to do this..

Therefore your slab would not run all the way to the exterior face of the exterior walls like that because we don't build like that in real life.
In real life the slab butts up against the inner face of the exterior wall, and the exterior walls sit on top of each other. It's the interior walls that sit on top of the slabs (Which themselves are supported by columns or other vertical structural elements like the stair or elevator cores).
Exterior walls are structural in function, therefore slabs wouldn't cut into them just like they wouldn't cut into the elevator core walls. You also have the problem of thermal bridging when that happens (in the case of climates where this is an issue).

I say all this because to if you model it correctly, (i.e. wall on top of wall and not on top of slab) then Archicad helps you out by cleaning the junction between the respective walls if they're the same material (unless you want to show a reveal, in which case there are workarounds for that) so that you will not see the edge or edge surface of the slab - and you also get a clean junction between the two walls (no line).

Likewise, if the walls are modeled correctly to meet each other in the horizontal plane in the right way (i.e. the reference lines intersect), Archicad cleans up that corner edge (by mitre-ring the two walls) so you don't see the wall edge or side surface of either wall and they meet up nicely in a clean corner.
That way, even if the walls have different materials, they meet up at an edge or corner line and not face-to-inner-face-to-other-face.
Again, unless you want the wall edge face exposed (like say if the wall butts out a bit), in which case there are alternative ways to control that side edge surface material if it's different from the defined side edge material (like the wall end object, for example or booleans).

Whenever you model in Archicad try to think of how you build your model in the same way the building would actually be constructed in real life (as in, the order in which the construction elements sit in relation to each other and how they connect). That way you'll be able to take advantage of how the program is written to help you work faster, more efficiently and to build cleaner and more accurate models with higher fidelity.