BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Polyroof with a Perpendicular Ridge line

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need to generate a hip roof with the ridge line perpendicular to the length of the roof as in the image attached. I seem to be able to only make a polyroof with the ridge line parallel to the length to the building. Try as I might, I can't seem to control the direction of the ridgeline. Any tips would be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
I quickly drew this roof which is a simular shape to yours and it drew it like this, which i believe is what your trying to achieve. How are you drawing the roof??
Screen shot 2011-07-06 at 16.17.45.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Your sample drawing indicates you are building a roof with very different roof pitches. I think you should just create each roof plane independently and then use the roof trim (cut) feature to join the ridges, hips and valleys.

The roof pitch and the longest building axis together determine the ridge direction. I'd guess you drew slopes where one is the double of the other (6/12 vs 12/12 for example). That is why the ridge axis is giving you trouble.

Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately, I need the ridge line to be perpendicular to the length of the building like how I have the ridge line in the picture I attached to my original post. It's really becoming quite the puzzle as I'm trying all sorts of things to try to get past this.

Right now I'm in the middle of trying to generate a square roof ignoring the hip created above the garage and then rotating it so the ridge line is correct. Then I generate a roof like the one in you're picture but I'm having problems integrating with the first roof with the roof above the garage.

I'm hoping there is a way to control the ridge line above the main house during generation so I can avoid this hassle.

Thanks Snap, I might have to do that. Was hoping to avoid but it really shouldn't take that long to do.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It looks to me as though the roof pitch or slope is twice as steep on the top bottom walls as it is on the right and left walls. This not a problem. But you must create this roof yourself with individual pieces.

Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
Either way works ...
Snap
Greg A_ Blunier
Contributor
Based on your image, I created a multiplane roof with a 12/12 pitch and not overhang. then for the right and left "sides" (which were originally "ends" I changed the pitch to 8/12 by clicking on their "pivot lines" (which in this case was identical to the overhang of 0).
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full and ArchiCAD 7

Windows 10
Greg A_ Blunier
Contributor
here's the pet palette option to choose
Pet Palette.png
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full and ArchiCAD 7

Windows 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
As said by snap you need to use separate sections and trim them to size. Use the polygonal method. The sections can be easily edited in the 3d window if the sides need tweaking
Screen shot 2011-07-06 at 17.32.56.png
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!