Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Poor DPI scaling on 4K monitor. What to do?

This appears to be an issue in all versions of AC that can run on a 4K monitor, including AC20.

I have a new 4K monitor, but the screen for AC is sharp only in native resolution, and then everything is too tiny to use. If I scale the display in Windows 10 up to 150% or 175%, it is large enough, but then the sharpness of icons and text is lost. This is not a problem for other programs. Is there any fix for this?
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
23 REPLIES 23
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
DrWho wrote:
I find this issue a big disappointment. With all my previous versions of AC I used Win 7 OS but when I went to AC20 I also upgraded to Win 10. I was also contemplating a new monitor as my 27" (1900 x 1200) crapped out and now I stuck with a 22" monitor (1380 x 780). I wanted to get a new 4k (cinema res. - slightly bigger than UHD) at 34" but until GS solves the issue I am not sure I want to spend the money. Katalin Borszeki from GS stated that the necessary changes will be available in a future release of AC but I am wondering if it will be in the form of a HOTFIX or AC21 which won't be out until next summer or so. I wonder if anyone at GS can provide a more accurate time frame of when the fix should be available.
Mike
You could update to an 1920x1080 monitor at any time. ARCHICAD is working perfectly at that resolution. I am working at 1920x1080 on a 17.3" screen. I would say you could even buy a 27" monitor with 2560x1440 resolution, it still works fine without the need of any user interface rescaling (unless one has problems with their eyesight and needs to see rather large texts).
That lower resolution you mentioned is limiting your productivity in a big way in my opinion, because there is so little screen estate you can use.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
shtarkel
Participant
You are right, I work on a big screen and its ok, but if I put 4k resolution on the same size screen, things get strange
Anonymous
Not applicable
You are right Laslo in that the small screen is an issue with the amount of work space I have. I have actually been thinking about getting one of the new 21:9 (3440 x 1440) @ 34" diagonal. This would give me lots of working space. Has any one had any experience with a monitor of this size?
Mike

PS: and for those disappointed that my name is Mike, don't blame me as my mother chose my name and I had nothing to say about it. Just happen to be a big Dr Who fan (Tom Baker was my favourite).
Eduardo Rolon
Let me correct you on this:
Tom Baker is still the one and true Doctor.
Accept no other regenerations.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator