BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Precast Wall Panels

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was wondering if anyone has a little trick for putting vertical and horizontal joint lines on a wall panel. In precast these are often architectural features that people want to see.

I usually use a boolean operation for this, but it takes a long time for complex joint patterns.

Any help would be really appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Vitruvius
Contributor
I've done reveals using beams & columns which are on a layer which isn't displayed. They'll cut the wall without resorting to the SOE and the cuts show up even if the beams & columns aren't displayed.

You can also have a look at the ArchiWall add-on.

Cheers
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Vitruvius, I will give that method a try
And then there are the old (pre-SEO) window-type objects like RevealMaker (several similar objects in Objects Online). The beauty in them is that you drag and stretch the wall and don't need to worry about dragging/stretching any other object, the joints just follow. Also that you have a single object window where you can change all parameters (material, height, depth, interval, etc.) for all joints of a given type. And you can have a single object in each wall for all the joints (sometimes it makes sense to have two or more, if the joint patterns can move independently), instead of one object for each joint, and the object has a name, so Find and Select works nicer. And everything is right there, in the visible layer.

RevealMaker is a fairly old object that works great. Only thing I would add is a hotspot or something to make the insertion/selection point visible in floor plan --the GDL script is hidden so the process is wastefully more complicated than in a normal object and I never got to sit down and do it. (So I end up wasting time marqueeing and doing Find and Select every time a RevealMaker object is not in the exact position it should be and blind-clicking doesn't work.)
Learn and get certified!