Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Prevent Surfaces from merging in 3D?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey folks --

I might be missing something obvious, but it seems like in the 3D model, identical surfaces will always blend together without a separating line (assuming they're adjacent and in plane with each other), regardless of layer, element type, etc. Is there any quick way to prevent this?

Context: I'd love to see my studs and other framing members read in 3D as distinct pieces, and not merge together when they double or triple-up, or when they meet at joints.

Attached: on the left are three studs adjacent to each other, but they read as a single piece. I'd like to avoid this. The best solution I can think of is on the right, where I've duplicated the Surface used and assigned it to the middle stud only. The result is clean, but it'd be a nightmare to apply this to the whole model.

Any ideas for better solutions?

Thanks much!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Dave Seabury
Advocate
Rook

Make a copy of the material and give it a different name. assign that material to the center stud and the lines separating the studs will appear.

David
AC 19-24 Windows 10 64 bit, Dell Prercision 7820, Xeon Silver 2414R ( 12 Cores), 64 GB Ram, Quadro RTX 4000 8GB

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Solution
Dave Seabury
Advocate
Rook

Make a copy of the material and give it a different name. assign that material to the center stud and the lines separating the studs will appear.

David
AC 19-24 Windows 10 64 bit, Dell Prercision 7820, Xeon Silver 2414R ( 12 Cores), 64 GB Ram, Quadro RTX 4000 8GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Or move the middle stud 0.1 mm back so it is not exactly flush with the other two studs.
The move should be so small that no dimension displays it, but ARCHICAD will know they are not flush.
(Of course you might not like this solution, because in CAD we are taught to always model precisely, and I am suggesting you not to model precisely )
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
LaszloNagy wrote:
Or move the middle stud 0.1 mm back so it is not exactly flush with the other two studs.
The move should be so small that no dimension displays it, but ARCHICAD will know they are not flush.
(Of course you might not like this solution, because in CAD we are taught to always model precisely, and I am suggesting you not to model precisely )
Laszlo’s solution is probably closest to reality as you will always have an air film between any elements unless you are CN milling to the micron level, this also the easiest to model / implement

Regards
Scott
Karl Ottenstein
I think Dave's solution is the best/cleanest option so that modeling can remain precise. It's also super easy and requires no modification to the model.

Any time you choose to model slightly 'off' it has the possibility to bite you down the road when you use snap points, stretching, moving etc. (In reality, everything in a building is 'off'... but should not be in the CAD model.)

My 2 cents.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
DGSketcher
Legend
I do a lot of framing in my current work and would also back the view that assigning a different surface material is the best option and keep your drawing as accurate as possible. I quickly learned those 0.1mm offsets rapidly cause problems on a bigger job. On a small job with a one off frame either method should work ok.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)