BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Problem: Unwanted cutting plane appears 2m in front of camera in 3D window

Anonymous
Not applicable
In AC23, seemingly at random, and occasionally, the 3D window view changes to have a cutting plane, approx 2m in front of the camera lens. It follows the camera wherever the camera goes, and is really annoying and unhelpful. I can't continue to do any useful editing in the 3D window after it happens, because I can't get closer than 2m to an object before it starts to disappear! I can't find anywhere to turn this "cutting plane" off, and I don't even know what it is -- and if it's a bug or a "feature" that has somehow been turned on. All the cutting plane features I've found seem to assume a static cut, not one that continuously follows the camera around.

Any ideas what it is, and how I can get rid of it... and how to stop it happening in the future.

My only current recourse is to abandon the current file and load a previously saved version.

I've attached a few screenshots of a fly-in to the building, to illustrate the "effect".
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
So trying to narrow this down.... by turning off layers to simplify....

I'm left with 3 layers turned on in the plan view window...
Terrain: only has one big mesh object.
Exterior Walls: has 4 wall objects.
Archicad Layer: has nothing (but I can't turn it off)

I have the 3D view set to OpenGL. I navigate using SpaceExplorer 3D mouse.

With nothing selected, I hit F5 (I'm on Windows, so f5 to display everything in 3D window)
Result: The mystery cutting plane cuts through objects in front of moving camera.

In plan view, I press ctrl-A (select all), and hit f5 again.
Result: No annoying cutting plane!

So the problem only happens when I don't specifically select the objects I want to shown in the 3D window, and instead rely on AC to automatically draw all the visible objects, that I have showing in plan, in my 3D window (which is the default way of working).

BTW, my AC23 version is 4006 NZE

Minh: do you still want me to send you my minimum file to try recreate this situation here?
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Peter,

Thank you for the detailed explanation! Yes, I would definitely be interested in taking a look at the file. I sent you a link via Private Message, with which you can upload the file directly to us.

Please let me know once the process is finished. Thank you once again!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Learn and get certified!