Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Problem extending beams

Chris Pooley
Enthusiast
Hey all,

I am sure I am just not understanding something, missing something or doing something wrong, but every time I extend one end of my internal beam to the edge beam, it extends the other end by itself. What I am wanting, is to have the ends of the internal beam, touching, not overlapping, the inside edge of the edge beam. But it only wants to do this on one end, then it extends and overlaps on the other end by itself, this causes it to be visible in elevation, meaning I need to hide it with a cover fill. I also don't want them to intersect, as this causes the internal beam to bleed through in elevation (cuts a hole in the edge beam), again, I need to hide it with a cover fill. To prevent them from joining I have set the intersection group number for my internal beams layer to 2, and my edge beam number is 1.

Please see the first picture, in this case, I joined the bottom end of the internal beam (the vertical member in the picture) to the inside edge of the edge beam. Then I extended the top end of the internal beam to the upper edge beam. Then the bottom end of the internal beam extended itself to overlap the edge beam, when I readjust this end, the other end extends itself, like a mean game hahaha.

As a temporary work around I have set the internal beams off the edge beams by 1mm. But I know I am missing something and there is a faster (and better) way, I just can not work it out, can anyone help? Either by stopping this automatic extension, or by stopping the internal beam from bleeding through the edge beam, as shown in my second picture attached, when the beams intersect.

Thank you.
Chris.
ArchiCAD 25
Windows 10
13 REPLIES 13
Barry Kelly
JohnJay wrote:
Put the offending beams on a different layer with a different layer priority?

Similar problem and solution here ... https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=74144#p330797

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually I recall having this annoying issue a while ago.
If I remember correctly, I dragged the beam aside to a clear location and extended to the desired point. Then I dragged it back to the original location and the extends stood still.
But IMO this is a bug.
Barry Kelly
Chris,
What version and build of Archicad are you using?
I just tried in 24 build 5000 and the beams go to where ever I stretch them.
If I stretch to the inside of another beam, it stays there, doesn't jump or extend through to the other side.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for reporting the issue and I am very sorry for the experience!

This seems to be a rare one, I was unable to find any similar report nor replicate the issue yet.
I'm wondering whether it affects all other files or only with this project? Inside this project, do other beams also behave like this or only with this one beam? If only one beam in this project is affected, maybe it's worth redrawing it, as it might have been corrupted somehow!

For further investigation, it would be great if we can reproduce the issue with your project. Would it be possible for you to share a sample copy of the problem? Please let me know if you need a secure place to upload the file!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT