BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.
SOLVED!

Problem with creating a slab using Grasshopper Live connection 2.0 Node

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

Few days ago started using new version of Live Connection 2.0 and faced a problem: in previous version I draw a Curve and connected it to input "Curve" to create a slab using Grasshopper node . And it worked.

But in new version there is a "Polygon" input, not "Curve". When I create a Curve in Rhino and connect it, a problem appears - "Invalid Polygon value. Outline Curve is self-intersecting". I tried many types of Curves, but Node didn`t accept them. How simple rectangle can be self-intersecting? Then I tried to create a polygon in Rhino and connect it to input. Node said that my polygon was not in horizontal plane. But IT WAS. I tried some types of polygons in horizontal and vertical plane, but it didn`t work. It is very strange, because I can create any other elements without problems.

Has anyone run into the same problem?

Mac OS Sierra
AC21 5021
RhinoWIP 5.4.2
Grasshopper-ARCHICAD 21 Live Connection 2.0
15 REPLIES 15
conscious247
Contributor
Hello,

I am using Rhino 5 on a windows workstation, and Archicad 21, build 7000. I too am getting a runtime error in grasshopper which reads "Invalid Polygon value. Outline Curve is self-intersecting." Is there a tolerance setting I can edit in either Rhino, Archicad, or both that can solve this issue?
Solution
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

The original issue reported here (error #245138), should be fixed in the AC22 version of the Connection tool already, and we plan to fix it in the next update of the AC21 version as well.

The issue actually only happens if the unit in Rhino is set to milimeters instead of meters. If your Rhino unit is set to meters, it should work fine. Until the fix is released for the ARCHICAD 21 version you can evade the issue like this.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
conscious247
Contributor
thanks dkovacs, worked like a charm. Looking forward to that 21 update.
I seem to be getting the same error with Grasshopper connection on Windows with Rhino 6. Any resolution to the issue?
Kind Regards,

Sebastian Monroe

Director/Architect

T: +61 3 9017 6666

www.codearchitecture.com.au

NOM ARCH VIC ARB: 17939

Archicad v26, Mac Mini INTEL 64GB, AMD Radeon Pro
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello Sebastian,

This issue should have been fixed with AC21 update 7000 and AC22 should be okay from the start. If you have earlier versions, please update ARCHICAD.

If you have these versions installed, and you still see the same issue happening, it might have resurfaced, or it might be a totally different issue. In this case please post the details about your AC version, pictures, a detailed description and your GH and PLN files so that we can test it and see what might go wrong.

Thanks,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit

Hi Daniel,

I'm sorry to open this case, but I have just had the same problem what was described for AC21. A node was saying that the curve must be closed and horizontal. I have tried some other combinations till I read this threat and after changing the units to the meters, everything worked fine. 
Importat to say that the curve/surface was curved very much and for simple rectangle, it worked also with milimeters.

Best regards
Karel

Learn and get certified!