BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.
SOLVED!

Problem with creating a slab using Grasshopper Live connection 2.0 Node

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

Few days ago started using new version of Live Connection 2.0 and faced a problem: in previous version I draw a Curve and connected it to input "Curve" to create a slab using Grasshopper node . And it worked.

But in new version there is a "Polygon" input, not "Curve". When I create a Curve in Rhino and connect it, a problem appears - "Invalid Polygon value. Outline Curve is self-intersecting". I tried many types of Curves, but Node didn`t accept them. How simple rectangle can be self-intersecting? Then I tried to create a polygon in Rhino and connect it to input. Node said that my polygon was not in horizontal plane. But IT WAS. I tried some types of polygons in horizontal and vertical plane, but it didn`t work. It is very strange, because I can create any other elements without problems.

Has anyone run into the same problem?

Mac OS Sierra
AC21 5021
RhinoWIP 5.4.2
Grasshopper-ARCHICAD 21 Live Connection 2.0
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

The original issue reported here (error #245138), should be fixed in the AC22 version of the Connection tool already, and we plan to fix it in the next update of the AC21 version as well.

The issue actually only happens if the unit in Rhino is set to milimeters instead of meters. If your Rhino unit is set to meters, it should work fine. Until the fix is released for the ARCHICAD 21 version you can evade the issue like this.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
mikas
Expert
Mac OS Sierra
AC21 5021
RhinoWIP 5.4.2
Grasshopper-ARCHICAD 21 Live Connection 2.0
Goodbye RhinoWIP for Rhino 5 for Mac
Have you tried with plain Rhino for Mac, WIP-version seems to be old already? I believe RhinoWIP should have warned you about it.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rhino (not WIP) version for MAC doesn't have Grasshopper in it. I have the latest version of RhinoWIP and it works pretty well with Live Connection 2.0 plugin. All nodes are working. Node "Slab" also working, but I can't understand what type of data needs input "Polygon". It doesn't accept any type of curves and polygons. Maybe it needs a combination of polygon and plane?
mikas
Expert
Sorry, I might not be helping with your actual problem, but Grasshopper (and paneling tools too) are in there with the newest Mac Rhino (in regular too, not WIP only).
Dan@McNeel wrote:
You may have also noticed we recently published the 5.4 update to Rhino 5 for Mac 3.8k. If you’re looking for Grasshopper or PanelingTools, that’s where you will find them.
Grashopper works now with "Grasshopper" command, not "ExplicitHistory" like it did in earlier (WIP) versions.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Anonymous
Not applicable
Me too.In GH,only sevral conmmands could be recgnized by slab node like cirlce,but ploy from points shows inter problem.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Same problem. Is there any chance to fix it ?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok got it. Probbably you have the same.

I started new project in CM for small objects. Probably due to accuracy Rhino returns selfintersection.

Try M for Large objects should be fine.
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hey guys,

Yes, there is a known issue, that our tolerance was pretty tiny when it came to checking whether something was planar, so that might have been an issue.

There are also a few other issues in that version as well, so you might want to try the preview version of build 6000. You can download the ARCHICAD update from here, and the corresponding Add-on from here. Note that these update packages are not final, so there might still be some major issues in them. You can see the conversation about them here.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Anonymous
Not applicable
Guys, thank you for replies! kzaremba, your method works)) Now I can finally create a slab
dkovacs, thank you for the Add-on) I will try it in the nearest time)
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's hardly a method. Rather quiet common thing in Rhino/GH. When you increase tollerances some RH commands need to have very precise curves. Glad I could help.

True connection is greate and it was improved very much over last year. Hope you will keep it up. There is still a lot to do.
By the way I made request to make part of code open source like most of GH plugins. Do you think it's possible ?
Learn and get certified!