Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Profile opening line

Anonymous
Not applicable
ok..now that i know there are many of " Profile walls nuts"...

i just want to ask about opening reference line.. 2 issues:

- it seems that its a reference for the bottom point of the opening " it should be the mid point? "

- and what is the point of having more than one line or curve reference for openings? " by default there are 2 lines.. and we cab have arcs also.. which is marvellous"

-mmm..another thing..it happened once and i don't have pics to show you.. but in a profile when elevating a door .. casing is going straight vertically.. while door is going with the wall..!?
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
The two opening reference lines in the profile wall define the nominal thickness of the wall. Most doors and window can use this to (optionally) set jambs and casings (among other things) to the wall thickness.

I haven't seen the arcs in this context. Are you sure they are opening references? I have only seen them as drafting aids.

I'm not sure quite what you mean in the last bit about the casing and the door, but is sounds like a problem in the script of the particular door. A lot of the doors and windows get a bit whacked out around the profile walls.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:

I haven't seen the arcs in this context. Are you sure they are opening references? I have only seen them as drafting aids.

it is there..i tried , just copy attributes "alt+" from existing opening lines then start drawing arc it will be in opening ref layer.
but again the problem is the ref arc is aplying to the bottom point of opening
Anonymous
Not applicable
These opening reference lines are strange things. The exact behavior is difficult to determine (no help from the manual) but you have inspired me to learn a few things.

The curved opening reference does seem to work if there is only one. The wall thickness definition only seems to work with two vertical, straight lines.

I've got the windows properly following the face of a curved wall as shown below, and the thickness (as seen in the window jamb depths) seems to be calculated at the sill height section through the wall. It seems pretty cool, but awfully damned hard to figure out considering the near devoid of documentation.

Thanks for the heads up on the curved ref line. I probably would never have figured it out otherwise.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Windows are associated to walls according to their anchor point. Either by their sill or their header. Then if the Opening Plane is set to 'Associated to Wall' they will appear parallel to the opening reference line as set in the Complex Profile dialog. If you use a curve as an opening reference line, it will be tangential to that curve.

There are two opening reference lines so that you may have a different opening reference for each side of the wall. When you place a window or door into the wall, it depends on which side of the wall you place it as to how it will behave.

Keep in mind that opening lines do not have to be on the edge of the wall profile, if you want to center your window or door a little (or even take them outside the boundary of the wall). Neither do they have to join, so in fact you can have as many opening references as you like.

Cheers,
Link.