Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Profils in hotlinks

ananas
Advocate

Hi!

Here on the picture we see left profile in a hotlink file and right a profile in Master file:

Archicad frage.jpg

Both profiles are the same with the modifiers. On the left in 3d view the lenght of one part is pulled longer. Why is that not visible in master file as well?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly

It must be the same complex profile (same attribute index number), but they may have different modifiers.

One of them may have been changed slightly (the actual complex profile modifiers edited) and not the other, so they don't actually do the same thing.

In the file that is not correct, open the Attribute Manager and import (overwrite by index number) that complex profile from the good file.

That should update it so it has all of the same settings.

It is a bit of an art to keep all of the attributes exactly the same in multiple files.

Very important to do when you are hot linking or copy & pasting between files.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

Solution

A central resource for attributes is a long standing wish (and one I believe is being worked on, but I have been holding my breath for too long now, I will believe it when I see it).

Unfortunately there is no easy way at the moment and each file must be managed separately.

If you amend or create a new attribute in a file (that is hot linked), you need to also import/update that attribute to your master file.

Then do the same for all of the other hot linked files.

I find it easiest to always keep the master file up to date, then you can simply overwrite all attributes (ideally by index number) in any other file at any time to keep them up to date.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Solution
Barry Kelly

It must be the same complex profile (same attribute index number), but they may have different modifiers.

One of them may have been changed slightly (the actual complex profile modifiers edited) and not the other, so they don't actually do the same thing.

In the file that is not correct, open the Attribute Manager and import (overwrite by index number) that complex profile from the good file.

That should update it so it has all of the same settings.

It is a bit of an art to keep all of the attributes exactly the same in multiple files.

Very important to do when you are hot linking or copy & pasting between files.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Hi Barry, thank you for yoru reply!

I actually found the solution already, but did not find  a way how to delete my post ...
I just deleted all profiles and importend new one. Even though they looked the same, there might be something different.

I have another question of how to better organise materials, surfaces, composites etc in Archicad with all the hotlinks?

If we change something (material etc) in one file, we need to change in all hotlinks and a master file (hotlinks are also PLN not MOD files) to assure we do not create a mess. Is there any way that we have a common library, with the whole Attribute manager that then affects all linked Archicad files?

Or do you know of any practical workaround on the topic?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Solution

A central resource for attributes is a long standing wish (and one I believe is being worked on, but I have been holding my breath for too long now, I will believe it when I see it).

Unfortunately there is no easy way at the moment and each file must be managed separately.

If you amend or create a new attribute in a file (that is hot linked), you need to also import/update that attribute to your master file.

Then do the same for all of the other hot linked files.

I find it easiest to always keep the master file up to date, then you can simply overwrite all attributes (ideally by index number) in any other file at any time to keep them up to date.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thank you Barry!

Central resource for attributes option would be great! I am looking forward to it 🙂