Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Project Location - missing items

KeesW
Advocate
I was working through a Bob Bobrow Archicad Best Practice tutorial on site meshes and it described the options available in Project Location. Two seem missing from the Australian Archicad 22 Template.

1. Aus' Altitude setting option is 'sea level' while his American, and presumably International, options include 'Project Zero' and other levels. We don't have this - should we?

2. We don't have an automatic connection from our connected city's latitude and longitude to Google maps. Should we have this?

I also noticed that Hobart is not on the default city list but I was able to import it from an another, older, version of Archicad. I hope that Graphisoft will correct this for AC23.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
6 REPLIES 6
Lingwisyer
Guru
1. As in the other Reference Levels listed in the Project Preferences?

2. When you say automatic connect to Google Maps, do you mean the "Show in Google Maps..." button?

3. I am running AUS and Hobart is on my list of locations... Correction, it is not. I was on a template based on the AUS21 default... Anyway, you can add / migrate missing citys via the Attribute Manager.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
KeesW wrote:
1. Aus' Altitude setting option is 'sea level' while his American, and presumably International, options include 'Project Zero' and other levels. We don't have this - should we?

It is "Altitude (Sea level)" in the Help Center manual as well - which I assume is International.
I also checked version 21 USA as well and it is the same there (although slightly different dialogue because of different version).
Maybe Bob's tutorial is an older version still?

KeesW wrote:
2. We don't have an automatic connection from our connected city's latitude and longitude to Google maps. Should we have this?

It is working fine for me.
Whatever long/lat I put in, the show in Google Maps works.

KeesW wrote:
I also noticed that Hobart is not on the default city list but I was able to import it from an another, older, version of Archicad. I hope that Graphisoft will correct this for AC23.

Yes, you would think that they would add this to the AUS template.
Brisbane and Darwin are also missing.
That is for the Central Innovation guys that set up the AUS template as it is just an attribute in the template.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If you need somewhat correct coordinates, google maps can show you them when you click on the map. You need to switch the input in archicad to decimals

The location is your project origin (if you have a large enough building for that to matter).
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Kees,
Nearmap can also give you reasonably accurate (approx 75mm resolution) latitude longitude and elevation. Not a cheap service but very useful getting regular high resolution images of a site with

Scott
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Depending on the local level of service from the relevant government agencies, you might be able to get accurate data for free.

In the Netherlands all map information is freely available since a few years, but you need to use GIS software such as QGIS to access this and the knowledge to set things up (access database, translate the data to vector information, etc). Fortunately there are some good blogs about this from the GIS community here.

There are also commercial services charging you for the same information and misleading names that sounds sort of like the real deal.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello KeesW,

Let me add and ask some things about your points:
  • I don't really understand the problem with the Reference Levels. The "Altitude (Sea Level)" field in the Project Location window is 0.00 m by default and the cities don't fill that info, and the Reference Levels are all the same in the AUS and INT templates (Project Zero, Sea Level, Reference Level 1 & 2; all of them are 0.00 by default).
    Could you maybe send a picture of this reference level problem, comparing the 2 templates? Is it possible that Eric Bobrow is using his own custom template in his videos?
  • The 'Show in Google Maps...' button is visible for me in the Project Location window, and it takes me to the correct position from the AUS template.
  • I asked my colleagues to consider adding these cities to the AUS template if they can (request #266279). We will see how it goes.
Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit