Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Publisher - browse to save a path - AC freeze!!

Rod Jurich
Contributor
Has anybody had the problem where AC12 freezes when trying to set a path for saving files in Publisher.

Happens sometimes, and when it does in a file it nearly always freezes on next start up.

Bloody frustrating
5 times this morning have given up this time

If anyone has a work around to share please let me know.

Publish FREEZE!!.png
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Rod
Sorry I'm not much help.
I'm on PC and seem to do the exact same thing you
are showing and no problems.
But wait, I don't see the curser set into the file(path) box.
Could that be an issue?
Don't have AC running right now or I'd check.
update.
Tried it all kinds of ways, no glitches so far.
Erich
Contributor
Rob,

I have not had a problem with this but I haven't tried since the last update. Is this a new problem for you or is it recent (ie. since the update)?
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Erich wrote:
/.....Is this a new problem for you or is it recent (ie. since the update)?
Erich, this has been intermittent for me since 12 was released.
I've watched as Lec suggested, and in the meantime, my workaround
after the first freeze is to type the path in manually.

The fact I cannot reproduce all the time is a problem in sorting a proper solution.

For now, manual typing of the path is my solution.

And many thanks for testing, and suggestions.
Rod Jurich
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Rod wrote:
I've watched as Lec suggested, and in the mean time my work around after the first freeze is to type the path in manually.
Hi Rod,

I can't fix the problem, but I can give you a quicker way to get the path to the required folder.
  • 1) Fire up Automator (in Applications)
    2) When prompted for a starting point, select the icon labelled "Files & Folder" and pick "Use files and folders selected in the Finder when workflow runs". You will then have a single-step workflow
    3) Drag a second step into the workflow, "Copy to Clipboard" (from "Utilities"). The workflow should look like the attached image.
    4) Save the workflow. Set the type to "Workflow", call it something like "Folder Path", and put it into your Home folder in the path "~/Library/Workflows/Applications/Finder".
You will then be able to right-click on any Finder item and copy a full path to it in one step by selecting "More/Automator/Folder Path", which you can paste straight into your Publisher settings.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Thomas Holm
Booster
Ralph: I've never used the Automator. I had to read you post three times to understand. But then You are truly brilliant!

Rod: If this was five years ago, or more, I'd say it's a file/folder naming issue.
Now, I think it's a permissions issue. I think this would happen if you (or Archicad) doesn't have full read and write privileges to any folder in the path in question. Perhaps you've moved or copied a project folder from another machine, an older 10.4 machine perhaps?

If you need to change permissions on a folder and all its contents in one go, there is a utility called BatChmod. It can also remove Leopard's speciual permissions if needed. use with care, and don't change Owner or Group unless you know what you're doing.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Ralph wrote:
/....
I can't fix the problem, but I can give you a quicker way to get the path to the required folder./.......
Many thanks Ralph, thinking outside the box you have me use more brain cells, again.
As Thomas said, this will be my first look at Automator.
Thomas wrote:
/...... Now, I think it's a permissions issue./...
No don't think so, everything is up to date and no one else uses my MPro.

It happens so intermittently and this project was begun in 12.

And again thanks everybody.
Rod Jurich
Barry Kelly
Ah MPro's
You'd never have this trouble with a Windows machine
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erich
Contributor
Rob,

Have you run a permissions checking utility such as Onyx just to make sure? It might be worth it to make sure everything is up to snuff.

Warning: going OT...
Does anyone have a good (and in this economy, free) way to rename folders in OSX? I can rename a single folder or group of folders with Automator but I cannot rename nested folders. I would love to hear if someone has a method to do this automatically.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Erich wrote:
/... Have you run a permissions checking utility such as Onyx just to make sure?/.......
Cheers Erich, use Cocktail and all is ok.

Ralph's advice is way smarter/quicker.
And works every time, well so far
Rod Jurich