Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Questioning the logic of the program

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been using ArchiCAD for a little over a year now and I am still finding new frustrations everyday as I work. Many of these issues have been resolved by patiently understanding the peculiar process as to correctly draft and model in the program. One issue that seems to be recurring is the general logic as to how the program represents the user's drafting requests. In particular, I find frustration that a program made to accurately portray the actual details of construction down to the sixteenth of an inch on window trim, seems to be completely bamboozled when it comes to something as pedantic as joining walls together in plan. If I want to accurately represent my framing in plan, then why does ArchiCAD insist that there should be a layer of gyp. that runs inside my wall cavity?

I understand that there are all sorts of tricks, work arounds, techniques, proper drafting/modeling standards and parameters that can sort out all sorts of messes. But my questions is why? Why can't there be a straightforward solution to such a simple problem? This is the issue I keep running into, there are no simple solutions. Please help.
16 REPLIES 16
If the walls your showing are in fact the same identical kind of wall then they would clean up. There must be some difference. Are they on the same layer with the same cleanup priority numbers ? Perhaps you are running into this problem because you are unaware of the different places where this is setup and controlled ?

What version of ArchiCAD are you using ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am running ArchiCAD 16

As far as I can tell these two walls are identical.

Same Layer
Same Composite
Same parameters (height, materials, pen types, etc.)
Considering I made one after another, I would assume that they are exactly the same.

If it helps at all, this is a consistent problem. When the model view is set to display wall composite information, then the relationship between the framing lines gets all screwy.
Erich
Contributor
Show us the Composite Structures dialog for this wall type. You most likely have your priorities set wrong.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is an incredibly simple fix. Please go into the composite of the wall and send a screenshot. It seems like the GWB fill and the wall stud fill are the same priority. The wall stud fill should have a higher priority.
Anonymous
Not applicable
in the wall composite the priority for the GWB fill is set to 6
The stud wall file is set to 8

Just for giggles I upped the stud wall to 10

no change
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is the "enable skin priorities" button in the wall settings dialog box checked?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Button not checked....
Anonymous
Not applicable
Button checked....
Anonymous
Not applicable
Did that work?