Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Quick way to identify empty layers?

JohnJay
Expert
Does the above exist?
AC27 | i7990x | RTX4070 | W10
9 REPLIES 9
Eduardo Rolon
In Attribute Manager's Layers Tab the ones with checkmarks are in use. You can filter by checkmark by clicking at the top of the column.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

JohnJay
Expert
Thank you
Barry Kelly
The check mark does not necessarily mean the layer has something in it.
It just means the layer is in use.
i.e. if the line tool is set to use "A-2D line" but there is nothing in that layer, it will still show as 'in use' because the line tool is set to use it.

So you would have to go through all of your tools and switch them to the "Archicad" layer first to get a better result.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
JohnJay
Expert
Barry wrote:
The check mark does not necessarily mean the layer has something in it.
It just means the layer is in use.
i.e. if the line tool is set to use "A-2D line" but there is nothing in that layer, it will still show as 'in use' because the line tool is set to use it.

So you would have to go through all of your tools and switch them to the "Archicad" layer first to get a better result.

Barry.
Hmmmm, so there's no way of identifying empty layers then...
Barry Kelly
JohnJay wrote:
Hmmmm, so there's no way of identifying empty layers then...
No not easily.
I just tested something else and it seems if you have a favourite that uses an empty layer it also shows as 'in use' in the attribute manager.

So you would have to delete all favourites, set all tools to the Archicad layer and then look at the attributes.
That should do it I think.

But if your intention is just to delete the unused layers, then I would not worry about the tool settings or the favourites.
The layers may indeed be empty, but you obviously have tools and favourites set to use those layers, so it would be wise not to delete them.

You can 'Purge' unused layers (and other attributes) directly in the attribute manager, you don't even have to go through the list and select them.

Also if you use a standard template, you should be familiar with the layers that should be there.
Usually you can pick a 'foreign' layer because it does not follow the template naming convention or is in ALL CAPITALS or maybe all lower case which may help you spot it.
And if you use a standard template, you can always delete all unused layers and then import the proper layers from your template again.

I guess it all depends on what the goal is that you are trying to achieve.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
We have dummy attributes in our template at reasonably high numbers. Anything new that is created will get a number following that. This means that something like a range of 1 to 200 is part of our standard template and should not be removed. Anything after 200 (for example) is project specific and can be removed.

Also if you delete layers you can choose to move items to another layer / replace it with another layer. This should amend favourites (I think) and stop you from accidentally deleting any elements in your project.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
When Deleting a layer (or any attributes), in the Delete and Replace dialogue, you have a Details button.
In this Missing Attributes sub-dialogue you have another link to Show Details in Browser to list all uses of this layer including default and favourites using it.

EDIT: Link to the help article here: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/136770/
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
JohnJay
Expert
Thanks, these are useful suggestions
runxel
Legend
James wrote:
When Deleting a layer (or any attributes), in the Delete and Replace dialogue, you have a Details button.
In this Missing Attributes sub-dialogue you have another link to Show Details in Browser to list all uses of this layer including default and favourites using it.
Hey James, it would be great if this would not be a two-step action. It adds sooo much friction and is slow.
From UX perspective this thing is horrendous and one can feel it was just botched together without much thought.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»