Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Rafter tails in AC24? how best to do?

rob2218
Enthusiast

I'm sure this has been hashed out many times...but I'm still not sure what is the best way to do this.

I have to produce these all over the roof rafter ends. When the slope changes..I need to create "NEW" custom tails...is there an easier way to have rafter ends that have custom tails that can slope/modify with a rafter object?

raftertails.png

...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
9 REPLIES 9
Lingwisyer
Guru

The easiest way would be to create a negative space SEO that you can extrude as a beam around your rafter edge. If your roof pitch changes, just reposition and rotate the SEO to suit.

Or you could try my object if them not being a beam is ok. Though it is still basically doing the same as described above.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly

If you model each rafter as a segmented beam (Archicad 23+), you could create a number of segments at the end and taper them to get the shape you want.

You won't get a true curve, but the more segments you have, the curvier it will appear.

Once you have created one it is just a copy & paste.

You can even save it as a favourite.

Being a beam, you can adjust the slope (incline) and the end will adjust accordingly.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

This video is nine years old, but still works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmgGoPhvl_Q

Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10

yeah...that whole "negative space" technique I don't care for very much. Having some floating objects the negative shape of the ends of the rafters seems a bit odd. Why can't we just have a 'rafter tail end object' that always for varying as well as custom ends on the ends of rafters?

i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23

besides this method of having some negative floating custom shaped object being removed from the rafters.....is there no object that does this? Looking more for an object such as a rafter that I can change it's slope as needed, AND the ends be customizable to whatever shape/cut/form I need it to be.

i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
DGSketcher
Legend

@rob2218 Well you could do that odd trick where you create a custom profile of the beam that is a vertical section through the length of the beam. Rather than placing a 10' beam you place a 3" long beam. which is great until you need to shorten them for hips & valleys, but if they are simple rectangular roofs or you are just showing them at the eaves there shouldn't be a problem.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

If you convert to a morph, these beams become very stretchable and rotatable.

Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10

Lingwisyer_0-1636074798027.png

The object linked previously?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

I've been using this method for years. Today, for some reason, there is a glitch. Looks perfect in section and elevation, but the cut isn't showing in 3D. I've never experienced this before. AC25 build 4013

Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)