Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Railing-independent segment

Tom Krowka
Booster
How does one create an independent segment once a length of railing is placed. Have placed several nodes for railing segments. When selecting the railing the context menu does not show "create independent segment" as indicated in the help menu documentation. Have tried it in 2D, 3D, within the EDIT command as well as simply selecting the railing and going to the railing menu. The segment pattern command acts on all the segments as I can't figure out how to make each segment independent of others. I give up.
TK.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
14 REPLIES 14
Barry Kelly
Tom wrote:
How does one create an independent segment once a length of railing is placed.TK.

I came across this a while ago and I can't remember if I found a solution.

Doesn't matter though.
Just go into EDIT mode, turn on the 'Segments and Nodes' (you can turn off all the other elements - right click on segments and nodes is the quick way to do that) and then select just the segment you want to change, go into the settings and change what you want - it will affect only that segment.

Or just go into EDIT mode and start editing the elements you want to change/delete by selecting them in the 3D view.
i.e. delete inner posts or balusters.
You have to select the segment though and go into the settings to adjust the segment spacing.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Here is my understanding of how it works:

The command "Independent Segments and Nodes" refers to the Segments and Nodes of the Railing Reference Line.

Let us consider a square-shaped Slab.
You place a Railing, starting from the top left corner, then click the bottom right corner. In this case, you have defined 2 Nodes, Archicad created 2 Segments and 1 intermediate Node. The intermediate Node was created automatically by following the outline of the Slab and placing it at a Slab Node. In this case, the "Create Independent Segments and Nodes" command will be available in the context menu.
Intermediate Nodes can be identified by the lack of Hotspots. User-defined Nodes have Hotspots.

However, if you create the Railing by clicking the top left corner, then click the top right corner, then click the bottom right corner, you have defined 3 Nodes. In this case, Archicad did not create any intermediate Nodes (it did not have to), so the "Create Independent Segments and Nodes" command will NOT be available in the context menu.

So, in summary, the command is only available if you select an associative Railing that has intermediate Nodes automatically created by Archicad (and not defined specifically by you). When you execute the command, automatically created intermediate Nodes will be converted to regular Nodes (as if you defined them in the first place) and they will have Hotspots to indicate it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Tom Krowka
Booster
Understand creation of segments as described. Next question is how can I make each segment independent in a railing that is placed by clicking points & creating nodes as in creating a polyline. Sometimes I can adjust the pattern in each segment, sometime adjusting the pattern will change all segments. Can't figure out how to make each segment independent in that case.
Thanks, Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
"Convert Pattern to Segment Length" command of the context menu?
Tom Krowka
Booster
Nope, still doesn't work correctly. Somehow various segments of the railing are still linked. Can't determine how to separate them when I have multiple segments placed individually (not automatically created nodes). Either I must be doing something wrong or there must be a way to do this that I can't figure out.
TK.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Barry Kelly
As I mentioned, go into EDIT mode.
Turn on the 'Segments & Nodes'.
Select the segment you want and go into the settings to make changes.
Only the selected segment should change.
At least that works for me.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Also, screenshots would be nice at this point.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Tom wrote:
Nope, still doesn't work correctly. Somehow various segments of the railing are still linked. Can't determine how to separate them when I have multiple segments placed individually (not automatically created nodes). Either I must be doing something wrong or there must be a way to do this that I can't figure out.
TK.

Clarification, are you trying to split your railing into multiple parts, or make a segment of your railing have different settings?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
The segments need to be independent segments to control each one separately.
i.e. there needs to be a node (hotspot) at the end of each segment as Laszlo showed earlier.
If there is not a node at each corner, then you have to 'Create independent segments and nodes'.
The railing can still be associated to the element, but it must have nodes for each segment.
If the 'Create independent segments and nodes' is not available (right mouse click) then they are already individual.

Then it is just a case of EDIT and select the segment you want to alter.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27