Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Railing-independent segment

Tom Krowka
Booster
How does one create an independent segment once a length of railing is placed. Have placed several nodes for railing segments. When selecting the railing the context menu does not show "create independent segment" as indicated in the help menu documentation. Have tried it in 2D, 3D, within the EDIT command as well as simply selecting the railing and going to the railing menu. The segment pattern command acts on all the segments as I can't figure out how to make each segment independent of others. I give up.
TK.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
14 REPLIES 14
Tom Krowka
Booster
To answer both recent questions...am not making independent segments but trying to make segments have different railing patterns.
Have placed associative railing via gravity to mesh. In between the points where railing has automatically associated to the mesh, I've placed several points by clicking without the gravity connection. When I select the entire railing, no right click "create independent segment" command shows up. So then I go to edit. I can select individual segments and change the railing pattern. However it is not only the selected segment that changes the pattern, but others as well for no apparent reason that I can discern. Sometimes it will only change the selected segment, sometimes one or two others. It seems some of the segments are still linked in some manner.
I'm sure it must be some simple thing I've overlooked. Maybe part of the railing is static, part is associative?
TK.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Barry Kelly
Tom wrote:
I'm sure it must be some simple thing I've overlooked. Maybe part of the railing is static, part is associative?

Can you show a 3D image of the railing with it selected so we can see where the nodes are?
Also indicate what segments you want to change.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
Tom wrote:
Sometimes it will only change the selected segment, sometimes one or two others. It seems some of the segments are still linked in some manner.
Possibly the same, have not found a solution other than how it is initially drawn;
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=329099#p329099

However it is not only the selected segment that changes the pattern, but others as well for no apparent reason that I can discern.
The connected segments should still highlight together when you use the Edit function.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Tom Krowka
Booster
Ling: In reference to your autopath comment.....am assuming it is not the "autogroup" command. If not, than I am not familiar how one invokes "autopath". Is it segment associativity in the railing dialogue box?
Thanks TK.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Lingwisyer
Guru
Tom wrote:
I am not familiar how one invokes "autopath".
When you associate a railing to some entity, you can select two nodes that are not adjacent and the Railing Tool will automatically path you through the nodes in between. This will also occur when you add a node to an edge that an associated railing passes along. If you select the railing, there will be no actual node on these automatic junctions and the segments on either side will act as one. You can convert it to a proper node by moving it off, then re-associating it.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660