Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Railing on curved stair?

eldhead
Newcomer
Hi, problem with railing and curved stair. If I show this railing to the architect he would go...
What can be done?
Archicad 7 - 24, HP ZBook 15 Mobile Workstation, Win 10
4 REPLIES 4
Jeff Galbraith
Advocate
Is the railing tied to the stair? ie: is it being generated by the path of the stair? If so, try deleting it and creating it on it's own. I have not had good luck auto generating railings from stairs.
Jeff G

Archicad 27 USA (full), Macbook Pro (16-inch 2023, M3 MAX, 128 GB RAM)
Hello eldhead,

You cannot expect to automatically generate a complex and perfect railing. Like all complex works, it takes time and consideration. I too was confronted with this scenario. I first learned to look at body-bodies differently and thus better understand how they are designed.

I can see that the railing in your image seems to be the one suggested by Archicad. I advise you to start by customizing your own rank-corps to familiarize yourself with this fantastic tool.
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Barry Kelly
If you look closely at the railing, it may be associated to the stair and follow the treads and risers, but it actually seems to be set out by the same algorithm that determines the base of the stair structure.
On straight stairs or with landings this is fine.
But as soon as there are winders or curved flights, it gets very messy.

Here is a post that helps to illustrate the problem.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=66176#p294233

As others have mentioned you will be best not to associate the railing to the stair.
Set the heights and positions of the railing nodes yourself and you will get much better results.
I am not saying it will be easy though.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
eldhead
Newcomer
Thanks for answers. I´ll try to create railings not based on the stair.
Archicad 7 - 24, HP ZBook 15 Mobile Workstation, Win 10