Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Railing tool doesn't reset custom segments and nodes

R Muller
Enthusiast
I can't seem to reset custom segments and nodes in AC22. When I select a rail that has custom elements, click on "Segment" (or Nodes) in the Railing Settings, and then click on the yellow triangle at the bottom that says "Reset Custom Segments" (or nodes), the yellow triangle next to segments (or nodes) goes away, but nothing is actually reset and the rail is not changed. The next time I open the railing settings, the custom yellow triangles are back!

This is true in edit mode as well as in regular object mode. I tried pasting a rail with custom elements into a new file from the standard template and still couldn't reset the custom segments or nodes.

Is there some other way to do this? Or is it a bug?

My only workaround so far is to delete the entire rail and start over.
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey
6 REPLIES 6
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

It can easily be a bug. You said if you copy one of these faulty rails into a new project it is still faulty. Can you send me one of these files? (an empty project with nothing but this bad rail in it, in PLA format) I would like to check to see if I can reproduce this and find out whether this is indeed a bug.

Thanks,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
R Muller
Enthusiast
I have uploaded "Reset Custom Segments and Nodes.pla" to your Sharefile site. The file is huge (133 mb), even though all it has in it is one rail.
R Muller
Barry Kelly
R wrote:
I have uploaded "Reset Custom Segments and Nodes.pla" to your Sharefile site. The file is huge (133 mb), even though all it has in it is one rail.

I am guessing you may have included the entire library in the PLA options when you created it.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
R Muller
Enthusiast
You are probably right. The library manager says the whole AC22 library is loaded, although the size of the library in library manager (643 mb) is LARGER than the size of the file. So maybe the file is impressively small!
R Muller
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello R Muller,

Thanks for the PLA. Seeing the problem myself helped a lot!

It looks like this is because of an issue with Stair/Railing sub-elements and Renovation (issue #265703). In your project the Renovation Status of the Railing is New, but if you enter Edit Mode, you will see that some elements/segments somehow defaulted back to Existing. This should not be possible, so ARCHICAD can't switch them back from this "custom" state (it sees that they are different, but can't change the Renovation Status). We want to fix this, but we would need to find out how it gets into this state first. If you can reproduce this, and show us how to reach this state, that could help a lot!

Anyhow, the solution to this is quite simple actually: just select the Railing, and change its Renovation Status to something else and then back to New. This will reset the Renovation Status of all Segments and Nodes, and you will be able to reset the custom Segments.

Let me know if this helped!

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
R Muller
Enthusiast
Interesting. In fact, part of this railing is existing and part is new. I started with an existing rail, then decided to replace and extend it. I can't remember exactly what I did. So much of the railing tool is trial-and-error anyway, I could have done almost anything that ArchiCAD would let me do.

Also, this is an old model, started over 10 years ago, so there may be a lot of legacy stuff in it. The renovation status didn't exist when I first did the model. Old library parts may interfere with new, although I have upgraded most of them by now.

I will look at the model and see if I can tell you anything else. I'm glad to know there is an easy workaround.
R Muller