BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Railings and Stairs in AC21

terzer
Contributor
Hello,
today I downloaded the new Archicad 21. It works great, but I have few questions:
In the video "Modeling the Stairs on Robson Square – Classics Remodeled in ARCHICAD" we can see the new stair tool being used to create ramps. I can't find how to do this.

My second question is how to create profiled rail.

I spent two hours just looking for those things (which ignited my interest in AC21 in the first place)
Thanks!
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
ispyridis wrote:
Hi Barry,

I did try all these, it is nor that flexible, it locks the riser height thus resulting in certain inclination, does not play with the range of riser. Maybe the problem is in RC1 release, still haven't got my upgrade.

And by the way, I was thinking that this should be implemented for the concrete stair structure. Also to control if the difference in height is very small and the length of tread large, to turn to ramp for that segment.

Regards
A single Stair's Risers Height and Going Depth is always the same when it is placed. In Edit Mode it is possible to move all Risers to some other position (please note that this will not modify the Structure), and it is also possible to select any Tread and modify the tread Height individually.

However, what I would do is I would probably model such a Stair using multiple Stair elements.

By the way, a Stair is not associated to a Mesh and Gravity is not available as an option when placing Stairs.
Stairs should connect just two different points. If too steep tends to be ladder if too lowly tends to be ramp. Depending on inclination the structure changes too, rarely you can find steep concrete stairs and if you do they mostly have an inset at the riser to accommodate for short going, but you can find steep steel stairs with stringers or central beam.

Between the normal stair lower inclination range limit and the ramp, must be a range of values that can be solved with the combination of normal stair-landing or stepped landing or ramp- and stair again, where the user will be able to adjust the position of the landing.

Finally for very lowly grades, ramp or stepped landing should be incorporated.

The reference line of structure should connect the lower point of the first riser with the furthest end of the last tread.

I think this would make input very simple.

Just define the run you want, the algorithm will decide structures for each segment, in edit mode you will be able to change kind of structure if it fits, depending on inclination, (eg ramp and stepped landing or if segment very steep you will not be able to have monolithic options).

This kind of stair tool would fit better with Archicad's simplicity, and would cover nearly every possible case.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you think this would be an important feature, please make a wish for it and I will submit it to GRAPHISOFT for their consideration.
I agree that an algorithm could do this, I just don't know how many people would find this useful because this sounds to me like it would be useful mostly for a landscape architect.
Additionally, the Stair Tool would have to be made to be able to be associative to Meshes for this to work.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
If you think this would be an important feature, please make a wish for it and I will submit it to GRAPHISOFT for their consideration.
I agree that an algorithm could do this, I just don't know how many people would find this useful because this sounds to me like it would be useful mostly for a landscape architect.
Additionally, the Stair Tool would have to be made to be able to be associative to Meshes for this to work.
Hi Lazlo yes I will make my description as a wish.

I was thinking of my quote and I realised that, a stair segment that would include the "landing" in it and giving us the option to play with its position after placement would really solve the "any point" bridging problem.

Yes it would solve landscaping problems but it would give also speed and freedom to building stairs too.

Regards
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Any idea why I can ONLY create a ONE RUN stair? no matter what I do, it won't allow me to turn the corner and create an L shaped or U shaped stair...

It creates my 24 treads, but forces them all into the 1st run then quits...

Nothing like a new tool to make feel like a complete idiot!

There must be one of the settings that I've changed that forces this to happen..???
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Karl Ottenstein
vfrontiers wrote:
Any idea why I can ONLY create a ONE RUN stair? no matter what I do, it won't allow me to turn the corner and create an L shaped or U shaped stair...
Hey Duane! The only way I can replicate that behavior is if my second click on the first leg is beyond the total run of the stair (based on riser/floor height). When rubber banding, I see the stair treads stop ... and clicking just completes a straight run. As long as my second click is while there are remaining treads, then I can turn the corner while the stairs continue to rubber band.

Or maybe it is one of the settings you changes, as you say... maybe some constraint on the landing? Try one of the delivered favorites to see if you have a problem with those settings.

If there's something buggy preventing this for you, you can get around it for the moment by using the magic wand on the wall edges, temporary lines, etc. As you move the magic wand, the starting position for the stair visually changes until you click to anchor/complete.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Yes.. the checkbox for MIN / MAX Tread was unchecked... so it was just doing what I told it to do...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi sir...let me tell you..you're a boss...bjt what do you think if you duplicate your hint by changing material and thikness to make finishes....
Best regards
Learn and get certified!