Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Rake Profiles

Anonymous
Not applicable
I made this a few years ago, but have completely forgotten how I made it. It is now a morph so I am not sure what I used to make this custom profile go up the pitch and then back down and be clean.

Any ideas on how to recreate this?
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Complex Profiled beams would be the answer
Regards,
Scott
Karl Griffith
Booster
I would guess you used the "tube" option in the morph pet palette, as shown in Eric Bobrow's video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EGdK-D7zXY
ArchiCAD 22

Win 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually in the middle of the night I awoke and remembered

I made the profile as a morph and then extruded it along the pitch.

I text myself on my phone so not to forget my 3:45 am remembrance. I will however try those other methods too.

Thanks.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
The perk of the beam / wall method is that you can change the extruded profile in the complex profile editor and it will update, whereas with a morph you will have recreate the whole thing from scratch, as changing it becomes quite difficult with all the faces that are created.

You can also use the shell tool either as an operator to cut away from walls/beams/etc or as a hollow profile that is extruded.

Or install ye goode olde Profiler goodie to create custom objects.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
profile goodie? I am intrigued. Tell me more.

Unless its cadimage, their stuff never works on my computer/ system.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Hmm, it would appear it's not a goodie, but comes pre-installed.

It hides under Design > Design Extras > Profiler.

It's basically a slightly less advanced way of making the morph extrusion, but it turns it into objects.

You draw a fill in floor plan and a path with polyline and use magic wand to follow the path.

It has been a while (before they made complex profile beams, pretty much) since I used it, so my memory is not perfect.

Personally I prefer the beams, using a 0 thickness SEO roof to create angles/mitred joints as needed.

It's a bit fiddly, though. I generally fake things with a few single plane roofs in the early stages of design.

You can make some nice stuff with it though, below is an old project from I believe ArchiCAD 15 (so no morphs). It is 100% complex profiles, with a few of them saved to object to be able to rotate them.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I will try that.

This is what I run into when I use beam profile. It wont let me cut it off, I used SEO but it doesnt cut it off.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Draw a zero thickness single plan roof at the angle of which you want to cut the beam and use SEO with downwards extrusion to cut off the bit you do not need.

Old screenshot from the same project below, it's not perfect, but you can see some wireframe complex profile beams in red and blue wireframe roof that I use to make the mitred cut.

I then used those beams with SEO substract on single plane roofs that make up the weatherboard and give it a nice detailing.
complex_profile_roof_SEO.jpg
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5