Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Recessed Objects & SEO operations

MSotero
Participant
Unless I am missing something, we need help with the following.

AC16 library restroom objects meant to be "recessed" should be able to make proper wall openings:
Waste Receptacles
Towel Dispensers
Toilet Tissue Dispensers (did not actually try this one)
Generically, any sort of recessed object in the library meant to be recessed and having inherent voids

The recessed restroom objects listed above can not produce proper 3d view, interior elevation nor section because they do not make a proper opening in the wall into which they are recessed. These objects bevel into the wall or have voids where the wall will read through the object after performing an SEO. Currently I group a solid SEO element with these objects to achieve the proper result.

Perhaps such objects should include some additional parameters.

Parameters might include:

1) SEO Block Out: Toggles on/off a block out for SEO operations that wraps around both the face frame and body so that it produces proper sections horizontally and vertically (might need a help note stating that an SEO is required to make the opening)

2) SEO Block Out Visibility: Toggles on/off visibility of the SEO block out to assist with managing the SEO because of #3 below

3) SEO Block Out Face Projection: User defined distance that the SEO block out will extend from the face of the object toward the interior of a room. This is useful when objects need to remain flush to the wall surface but you also need it to perform an SEO on additional elements that it intersects such as a separate cabinet splash or finish surface (which may not be part of the wall itself). These items may be thicker than the objects face frame, hence the need for the user defined extension.

Naturally if a SEO parameter could be set to automatically make the wall opening like a window it would save a step. Even so, the Parameter #3 above would still be useful for additional SEO operations for the reasons stated.

By the way, the Waste Receptacle needs a hotspot at the back of the face frame to make it easier to place at the wall surface.

To me, these objects have a fundamental oversight and do not meet their intended purpose. Otherwise I would have made this a wish list item.
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Actually, technically I think this could be done in ArchiCAD (sort of).
The Objects would need to be "Door" or "Window" sub-types in GDL, since these are the two "Wall-hosted" GDL Object Types that can be inserted only into a Wall. Also, these are the ones that cut their holes in the Wall.
However, that solution would not the best, since Doors/Windows don't have their own layers, they are displayed or hidden along with their containing Wall.
So that is not a perfect solution.
It would good to have such GDL object types in ArchiCAD that could be placed in/on Walls, Tops/Bottoms of Slabs etc.
So I guess this is a wishlist item in any case.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
"SEO blocks" can easily be scripted into an object.
Here is one I use for a sink bowl.

!GLOB_CONTEXT = 44
!! use prism to cut bowls when used in Solid Element Operation
if GLOB_CONTEXT > 40 and GLOB_CONTEXT < 50 then
ADDz -bench_thk
PRISM_ 5, bench_thk,
	sink_rim,sink_rim,15,
	a-sink_rim,sink_rim,15,
	a-sink_rim,b-sink_rim,15,
	sink_rim,b-sink_rim,15,
	sink_rim,sink_rim,-1
DEL 1
endif

The block will not show at all and will only be used when the object is involved in a SEO with another element.
You could add a toggle switch parameter that would allow you to see the block in 3D and also adjust the size of the block.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
"SEO blocks" can easily be scripted into an object.
Here is one I use for a sink bowl.

!GLOB_CONTEXT = 44
!! use prism to cut bowls when used in Solid Element Operation
if GLOB_CONTEXT > 40 and GLOB_CONTEXT < 50 then
ADDz -bench_thk
PRISM_ 5, bench_thk,
	sink_rim,sink_rim,15,
	a-sink_rim,sink_rim,15,
	a-sink_rim,b-sink_rim,15,
	sink_rim,b-sink_rim,15,
	sink_rim,sink_rim,-1
DEL 1
endif

The block will not show at all and will only be used when the object is involved in a SEO with another element.
You could add a toggle switch parameter that would allow you to see the block in 3D and also adjust the size of the block.

Barry.
This is only about four years after the fact, but I wanted to say that script worked a treat!! Thanks, Barry.
Barry Kelly
dirty wrote:
This is only about four years after the fact, but I wanted to say that script worked a treat!! Thanks, Barry.
You are welcome.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11