BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Recommended Reading

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I thought this would be a good idea, for forum users to list any resources they've found extremely useful for archiCAD information. (Besides this very useful forum).

So I'll start with a request: I'm looking for the best "complete" resource for ArchiCAD. A full out codex of archiCAD content, from basic functions, to high-end graphic exporting and animations. The tutorial books which came with our software is no longer solving my questions...

So, please, list any and all great resources and tell me how helpful you think it would be.

also, if you have time, please list a link to web site listing the book you are recommending (or at least the author's name so no one confuses books)

thank you...

I can't wait to see what you all recommend...
18 REPLIES 18
Dwight
Newcomer
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yer basic Archicad resource list
Well, that's generally what I wanted to avoid. Which of these books are worth getting? Is there one that is generally more helpful than others?

I know there are plenty of books out there, and I was hoping some of you could leave a testimonial about a specific book that was most helpful to you.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
The book that I've found the most useful is Project Framework -- it hasn't been updated since AC8.1 (with an addendum for AC9), so a lot of it is no longer relevant for AC10 and above. It's emphasis is on managing the data, as opposed to how to use the software.

There is no comprehensive tome on AC -- my advice is to try and read everything you can find... and search this forum for recommended reading and links to helpful websites.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
TomWaltz
Participant
There's only one printed book out there that I think is both current and worth anything (in 2007), and that's Dwight's book.

Other than that, AEC Info Systems and Digital Vision (Archicad resellers) both maintain decent online tips guides.

I actually wrote a proposal for an Archicad book and sent it to a few publishers, but they felt the user base was too small. I'm not as entrepreneurial as Dwight is, so I didn't try to publish it myself.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Tom and Laura...

anyone else with recommendations?
Djordje
Ace
Nothing beats one on one training.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Nothing beats one on one training.
One probably should NEVER ASSUME THAT one KNOWS WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?

Of course nothing beats One-on-One training, if you are the Trainer. In any other view, Classes beat One-on-One training hands down. Pedagocially One-on-One is simply bad; didactically extremely problematic; as comes to Discipline and Structure, hopeless.

NEVER GET TRAINING FROM SOMEONE WHO PREFERS ONE-ON-ONE

EDIT Grammar & syntax corrected
Anonymous
Not applicable
Petri wrote:
...Classes beat One-on-One training hands down...
Surely taking one-to-one training is like taking classes anyway, but with less people, meaning you have more attention?
Petri wrote:
...Pedagocially One-on-One is simply bad; didactically extremely problematic; as comes to Discipline and Structure, hopeless...
Could you translate this please? I genuinely have no idea what you just said.

Cheers,

Pete.

PS. No need to be rude to Djordje, he's only trying to help!

(Edited for clarity)
Dwight
Newcomer
Petri wrote:

NEVER GET TRAINING FROM SOMEONE WHO PREFERS ONE-ON-ONE
PLEASE ELABORATE.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!