BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Recover after "don't save"

jankubacka
Beginner

Hello there. Please is there any option to recover autosave file if I quitted the ArchiCAD correct way but accidentally I pressed "Do not save". In autosave folder, there is no .fdb file (I assume .fdb file is deleted when AC is shut down propertly).

In Log folder, I see .log file for every oppened instance for about 2 months back. What information is stored in those .log files? Can it be used for recovery?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Oh this has happened so many times in our office. We’ve actually added a wish for a double warning when choosing don’t save. 

I didn’t think the auto saves were deleted until Archicad was launched again. If the auto save folder has no files then I’m afraid I don’t think there is a way to recover the file. Which OS are you running?

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)
Barry Kelly

If you have pressed "Do Not Save", then Archicad will assume that is what you meant, and will shut down the file.

As it was shut down correctly, the autosave file will also be deleted - these autosave files only remain if Archicad crashes without a proper save (or don't save).

Unfortunately you have lost back to your previous successful save.

The log file can not be used for recovery.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
jankubacka
Beginner

Thanks for fast response guys. So I will repeat my work 🙂

Tip for others: Now I set the autosave folder to back up to my external drive every half an hour.

Tip for Graphisoft: Pls do not delete the autosave file eg. until next save. Or as Lee mentioned - double warning.

Have a nice day.

@jankubacka wrote:

Tip for others: Now I set the autosave folder to back up to my external drive every half an hour.

If you mean you have changed the time and location of the recovery files in the Work Environment - Data Safety, then that will still delete the autosave file when you successfully close Archicad (or say don't save).

It doesn't matter where your recovery files are saved, Archicad will still clear them when Archicad is shut down.

The only true save is when you save and as extra safety make sure you have the backup copy set to On.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

I mean that I have external backup hard drive permanently connected to my PC and set to backup files from selected folders every x minutes if those files are changed. So I added the ArchiCAD autosave folder so everytime, there will be the latest autosave file even when AC will be correctly shut down. But I know that from today's experience I will never happen to me again.

Thanks, Jan

Problem is if your external backup just happens to run after you don't save the file.

Archicad will delete the autosave and then your backup (if you don't stop it in time before it next runs) will assume it needs to backup the now deleted file, and hence will delete it from you backup copy too.

Unless you set your backup to archive the files rather than overwrite them.

Now you will be accumulating many copies of the files, which can be confusing and also use up a lot of disc space.

Maybe you can set it to just archive the last 2 or 3 backups - I guess it depends on the capability of you backup software.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Yes you are absolutelly right, I have set backup plan, so there will be a new copy every 30 minutes (if changed). Since my projects are not huge, it will be enough to delete archive every month or so to save space.

Easiest and most user friendly would be, if ArchiCAD acts as improperly closed when user do not save the file. And after each do not save closeup, autosave recovery option window will appear on the next start.

@jankubacka wrote:

Easiest and most user friendly would be, if ArchiCAD acts as improperly closed when user do not save the file. And after each do not save closeup, autosave recovery option window will appear on the next start.

My logic for that would be, I did not want to save the file, so why would I want it to appear as an auto recovery file when I next open Archicad?

To each their own I guess.

The ultimate solution is the simplest.

When you have done some changes you are happy with, hit save.

then there is no excuse you do not have what you want.

And if you get in the habit of doing this every 20 or 30 minutes at least, then that is all you can lose.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Yes, you are right, but we all are humans so sometimes it can happen.

I use ArchiCAD for at least 10 years and this is the first time it happens to me. Not a tragedy, but it could be super annoying, even it is completely my fault. But still I think there could be some option to recover this user fault.

Thanks and have a nice day, 

Jan

Learn and get certified!