Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Reflected Ceiling Plans

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I was wondering what most users are doing to create reflected ceiling plans. Do you create a new story to house the ceiling objects or just use layers and combinations to properly display the ceiling? Also do you place slabs for the ceiling or just draw the grid GWB etc?

I was thinking it would be advantageous to create a story at 8' above the floor and put all ceiling items there, fewer layers and faster switching between floor and ceiling, and you can ghost the floor or ceiling for alignment. We often have problems aligning the lights etc with floor items without turning on all layers and creating a confusing display.

Any opinions?

Thanks
Chris
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been managing ours with just layers and placing slabs with the grid assigned to the slab.
Aussie John
Newcomer
I use a separate storey but dont change the elevation ( ceilings can be a different heights and change.). Layers a simplified significantly as a result.

The only disadvantage of this method is it requires making a library part of the wall elements (and stripping the 3D script).

This library parts can then be used as copy of the walls for electricial and other service drawings or any view that needs a simplified plan view.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Aussie John
Newcomer
Also I usually use roof planes rather than slabs for ceilings as they are defined by their underside height rather than the top height. I then use a label which reads the height above the floor level.

If a sloping ceiling meets a flat ceiling the intersection can be mitred.
Unfortunately this doesnt show the intersection exactly at the right place if the ceiling has any thickness as the 2D view is based on a view from the top.

This is a SERIOUS DEFICIENCY of ArchiCAD.
Cheers John
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was thinking I would adjust the color of the ghost story to black as shown in the image below. It would solve the problem of creating the special wall type. I cannot wait until we are able to have walls the cross over multiple stories.
RCP.jpg
Aussie John
Newcomer
unfortunately the ghost storey image wont transfer to plotmaker
Cheers John
[/size]
Djordje
Ace
Cphubb wrote:
I was thinking I would adjust the color of the ghost story to black as shown in the image below. It would solve the problem of creating the special wall type. I cannot wait until we are able to have walls the cross over multiple stories.
This is one more reason why layers work best. Coupled with good Display Options, all that you need is a saved view set.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Chazz
Enthusiast
Aussie wrote:
Also I usually use roof planes rather than slabs for ceilings as they are defined by their underside height rather than the top height. I then use a label which reads the height above the floor level.
I also use roofs for RCP's. But is such a roof label available anywhere? Not on Objects Online, not on the Object Depository. I imagine yours is home grown. Would you consider making it available or selling it? Any info appreciated!
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current