Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Reinforcement objects request

Darwuhr
Enthusiast

Hi there, does anyone have reinforcement objects? 

I am looking for parametric rebars, reinforcement meshes, stirrups, etc. made by users so we could start a depository and maybe make them better.

Thanks to anyone that will participate!

10 REPLIES 10
Mjules
Mentor

Graphisoft is still playing with these features. Meanwhile, you can try Eptar Reinforcement. 

There also was a Cadimage Add-on for that, but it seems Cadimage becomes Central Innovation now. You can also check it on its website. 

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11

I have tried Eptar, but I would like to make some objects that we as a community could enhance and make better. I personally did not like Eptar, it still lacks a lot of features. 

And more on that, I would like to learn GDL so I could make some objects myself and contribute to the cause. I understand that most Archicad users don't want structural engineering (i.e. reinforcement modeliing) to be the main focus of GS, so that is why I think the users that would love this feature could work together and make it come true.

We should address the BIM software in its entirety. BIM stands for Building Information Modeling, and Rebar feature is part of some building systems too. Therefore, Archicad should already have taken this into account for users. 

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)

You can also ask @Carlos Cordeiro for more information about this incoming feature in Archicad.

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
gavinNZz
Advocate

Coding rebar in GDL is a fairly simple exercise and could be coded in various ways. My suggestion would be to do a bit of research on basic GDL and have a go. Calling basic Archicad tube objects in a GDL script and applying custom variables (diameter, angles, lengths) to them would be a good place to start. You would just need to apply the calculations to place them correctly within the object. Also utilizing 3D hotspots is a good way to place and adjust the object when putting it into the workflow.

Planworks Ltd
Residential Designer based in Tauranga, NZ
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!

I just use the Morph tool to draw my rebars in 3d and then save them as objects if necessary. I appreciate your insights, but I am not smart enough for coding. This aspect of Archicad has been giving me some headache since the version 10.

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)

I thought the same but with a little persistence you will get the basics then just work from there adding new features as you learn them. I went from no idea to coding this wall frame object within a year or two (not full time!)

https://discord.com/channels/976597714341077013/976645938481360936/979240611230126150

Happy to help out with any questions. Join our discord server to connect.

Planworks Ltd
Residential Designer based in Tauranga, NZ
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!

Thank you @Mjules for tagging me here.

Rebar design is indeed a complex feature set (not just one single feature) which we have been looking into for some time. As of today we cannot yet tell you when or in which form this could be implemented, but what we can say is that we are looking into this idea and considering which way should be the most optimal one to address this market need.

@Carlos Cordeiro, Thanks for replying! I've been waiting for these features in Archicad for about 16 years. I hope to see them implemented before my retirement in the field.

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)